Use this lisp to do the trick:

*Expert Elite*
Alfredo_Medina
Message 12 of 17 (1,714 Views)

Re: How to determine the total length of multiple lines

06-08-2012 04:50 AM in reply to: eigio

eigio wrote:

Use this lisp to do the trick:

Sorry. It won't work. The question is about Revit, not about AutoCAD.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Planta1 Revit Online Consulting | info@planta1.com | my Twitter | The Planta1 Blog
Contributor
peterlyh
Message 13 of 17 (1,593 Views)

09-17-2012 02:56 AM in reply to: lucilarosso

How I do so is to create a Railing type with 1x1mm rail at the floor level.

And override the graphics in view of that railing to show as dotted line.

Railing has the properties of the total length even though it is segmented.

Contributor
obermeyerdc
Message 14 of 17 (1,478 Views)

12-28-2012 07:52 PM in reply to: lucilarosso

@ Alfredo_Medina

There are many reasons one might need to measure the length of multiple lines or walls.  Many more than just path of travel.  Zoning codes reference the length of walls to determine definition of basements.  They also reference percentage of existing non-conforming walls that may continue along a length of encroachment in a yard.  Architect's rely on CAD to define these dimensions for approvals.  

I don't make this point to correct you but to express to rosskirby that I share the frustration with Revit.  Not frustrated by the learning curve, we're way beyond that.  It's because the software fails miserably to meet many fundamental capabilities.  I can't' return to 2D CAD, and love Revit for that, but I often find it miserable to forge ahead.  There should not be Tips and Tricks and third party applications to make it perform as expected.  

*Expert Elite*
Alfredo_Medina
Message 15 of 17 (1,457 Views)

12-29-2012 02:20 PM in reply to: obermeyerdc

I don't see your point.

If you want to measure the total length of multiple lines or walls, it can be done easily as explained in message # 3 in this thread.

If you want to measure an egress path, schedule the lengths, tag it, etc, then, you need some other tools, as explained in message # 9 by Ross Kirby, which includes a link to Steve Stafford's blog, who has explained the solution in his blog for several years.

Both needs have a solution, without using any tips and tricks or third-party applications, just using the native Revit tools.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Planta1 Revit Online Consulting | info@planta1.com | my Twitter | The Planta1 Blog
brian
Message 16 of 17 (1,336 Views)

02-25-2013 12:30 PM in reply to: rosskirby

I know this is a liitle late on this reply, I am looking for an answer to totaling the length of multiple lines.  I do site development and do feasiblity studies....for way too little feee, and don't want to spend the time redoing my planners less than perfect line work for "phone quote" probable costs.  I need to take a subdivision street centerline and total by selecting the all.  A very talented programmer....JW.... wrote a LSP for an earlier version and would have expected he pass that along in the new software.  I also do preliminary layouts of teh water, saniatary sewer systems, and drainage systems and would like to total those lengths also.

Thanks in advance!

*Expert Elite*
Alfredo_Medina
Message 17 of 17 (1,332 Views)

02-25-2013 12:36 PM in reply to: brian

To measure total length of lines, please do as described in message # 3, above. It works on model lines, only, though; it does not work like that on detail lines.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Revit Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Revit helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Revit

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Youtube