Revit Architecture

Active Contributor
trevorpan
Message 1 of 5 (263 Views)

How to constrain curved ribs on a curved roof line, with curved walls

263 Views, 4 Replies
01-26-2014 01:37 PM

hi,

Having a time getting ribs to align 2m below top of ridge beam, and connect to curved wall below.  I created one, then arrayed, but the radius changes at each 2.5 degree interval.  I don't think I should have to calculate the % radius change to get the beams to do this.  Some constraint button maybe?

Not sure if editing a wall profile is the best way to model this, but it's working.  If you have a better approach to modelling these beams I would appreciate it.

Thank you,

Trevor Pan
trevorpan.com
Active Contributor
trevorpan
Message 2 of 5 (259 Views)

Re: How to constrain curved ribs on a curved roof line, with curved walls

01-26-2014 01:44 PM in reply to: trevorpan
modeling, please excuse the misspell
Trevor Pan
trevorpan.com
*Expert Elite*
rosskirby
Message 3 of 5 (229 Views)

01-26-2014 03:00 PM in reply to: trevorpan

You'll need to build yourself an adaptive component to do what you want.  Take some time to read through Zach Kron's blog, where he outlines a number of different methods of accomplishing what it seems like you're trying to do. 

You can do it with a simple array, since each element in the array has to be identical.

Hope that helps.

Ross Kirby
BIM Manager
Arcturis
Active Contributor
trevorpan
Message 4 of 5 (218 Views)

01-26-2014 03:45 PM in reply to: rosskirby
HI Ross,

Thank you for the tip. Reading through his blog now, seems like it'll take a bit.
T
Trevor Pan
trevorpan.com
Active Contributor
trevorpan
Message 5 of 5 (207 Views)

01-26-2014 04:37 PM in reply to: rosskirby

Hi Ross,

Checked out the adaptive components with Dynamo.  Very cool, thank you for the tip.

While I work on figuring that out, is using a architecture "wall" and editing the profile a good way to put the beams/ribs up? Or would you create them from something else?

Im using revit 2014, with all disciplines.

Thanks,

Trevor Pan
trevorpan.com

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Revit Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Revit helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Revit

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Youtube