Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to build a wall...

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
264 Views, 6 Replies

How to build a wall...

Hello, I am trying to build a wall looking like this image. I did this with creating a profile for my wall and then attached it as wall sweep. I needed several walls with different heights to have this profile, so for each wall height, I create another profile to match with its height. It worked fine, until I decided to open doors and windows on these new walls. When I open a door, It cut the sweep at that point from top to bottom, and windows didn't even worked. It opens the windows on the real wall behind the sweep but it does not touch the sweep. So, I am wondering how I can create walls which have complex profiles. Thank you very much...
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Build the entire wall as an in-place family. In your case, use a sweep, and draw a profile the size and shape of your wall. Doors and windows will cut it properly. Don't use a sweep attached to the wall. "Bolkar" wrote in message news:404a914d_2@newsprd01... > Hello, > > I am trying to build a wall looking like this image. I did this with > creating a profile for my wall and then attached it as wall sweep. I needed > several walls with different heights to have this profile, so for each wall > height, I create another profile to match with its height. It worked fine, > until I decided to open doors and windows on these new walls. When I open a > door, It cut the sweep at that point from top to bottom, and windows didn't > even worked. It opens the windows on the real wall behind the sweep but it > does not touch the sweep. > > So, I am wondering how I can create walls which have complex profiles. > > Thank you very much... > > >
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous

Thank you for your advice. I draw the wall by using create button under modeling tab. From there I select wall and modeled my wall. It worked very good. However when I try to put window or door, I cant select that wall. Am I doing something wrong? On plan view my building looks like a box, so As path I draw the whole box, and draw the profile. and it makes it a single object. Which I cant to anything on... Thanks, Bolkar "Scott Davis" wrote in message news:404aa817$1_2@newsprd01... > Build the entire wall as an in-place family. In your case, use a sweep, and > draw a profile the size and shape of your wall. Doors and windows will cut > it properly. Don't use a sweep attached to the wall. > > "Bolkar" wrote in message news:404a914d_2@newsprd01... > > Hello, > > > > I am trying to build a wall looking like this image. I did this with > > creating a profile for my wall and then attached it as wall sweep. I > needed > > several walls with different heights to have this profile, so for each > wall > > height, I create another profile to match with its height. It worked fine, > > until I decided to open doors and windows on these new walls. When I open > a > > door, It cut the sweep at that point from top to bottom, and windows > didn't > > even worked. It opens the windows on the real wall behind the sweep but it > > does not touch the sweep. > > > > So, I am wondering how I can create walls which have complex profiles. > > > > Thank you very much... > > > > > > > > >
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous

Alright alright, it worked fine. It just was not showing door and windows on plan view while I try to insert them in my new wall. Thanks for your answer Scott. However I have another question. Since my wall is tilted, the door frame does not sit on my wall angel. They act if the wall is straight. How can I edit door to have its exterior frame rotated with same angel as my wall? Thank you very much, Bolkar "Bolkar" wrote in message news:404cdfee_1@newsprd01... > Thank you for your advice. I draw the wall by using create button under > modeling tab. From there I select wall and modeled my wall. It worked very > good. However when I try to put window or door, I cant select that wall. Am > I doing something wrong? > > On plan view my building looks like a box, so As path I draw the whole box, > and draw the profile. and it makes it a single object. Which I cant to > anything on... > > Thanks, > > Bolkar > > "Scott Davis" wrote in message > news:404aa817$1_2@newsprd01... > > Build the entire wall as an in-place family. In your case, use a sweep, > and > > draw a profile the size and shape of your wall. Doors and windows will > cut > > it properly. Don't use a sweep attached to the wall. > > > > "Bolkar" wrote in message news:404a914d_2@newsprd01... > > > Hello, > > > > > > I am trying to build a wall looking like this image. I did this with > > > creating a profile for my wall and then attached it as wall sweep. I > > needed > > > several walls with different heights to have this profile, so for each > > wall > > > height, I create another profile to match with its height. It worked > fine, > > > until I decided to open doors and windows on these new walls. When I > open > > a > > > door, It cut the sweep at that point from top to bottom, and windows > > didn't > > > even worked. It opens the windows on the real wall behind the sweep but > it > > > does not touch the sweep. > > > > > > So, I am wondering how I can create walls which have complex profiles. > > > > > > Thank you very much... > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

Change the door family to not include a frame, and then apply the frame separately as an in-place family in your model to the tilted wall as a sweep. You cannot make the frame automatically tilt to conform to the wall. Scott "Bolkar" wrote in message news:404d2248$1_1@newsprd01... > Alright alright, it worked fine. It just was not showing door and windows on > plan view while I try to insert them in my new wall. > Thanks for your answer Scott. > > However I have another question. Since my wall is tilted, the door frame > does not sit on my wall angel. They act if the wall is straight. > How can I edit door to have its exterior frame rotated with same angel as my > wall? > > Thank you very much, > > Bolkar > > > "Bolkar" wrote in message news:404cdfee_1@newsprd01... > > Thank you for your advice. I draw the wall by using create button under > > modeling tab. From there I select wall and modeled my wall. It worked very > > good. However when I try to put window or door, I cant select that wall. > Am > > I doing something wrong? > > > > On plan view my building looks like a box, so As path I draw the whole > box, > > and draw the profile. and it makes it a single object. Which I cant to > > anything on... > > > > Thanks, > > > > Bolkar > > > > "Scott Davis" wrote in message > > news:404aa817$1_2@newsprd01... > > > Build the entire wall as an in-place family. In your case, use a sweep, > > and > > > draw a profile the size and shape of your wall. Doors and windows will > > cut > > > it properly. Don't use a sweep attached to the wall. > > > > > > "Bolkar" wrote in message > news:404a914d_2@newsprd01... > > > > Hello, > > > > > > > > I am trying to build a wall looking like this image. I did this with > > > > creating a profile for my wall and then attached it as wall sweep. I > > > needed > > > > several walls with different heights to have this profile, so for each > > > wall > > > > height, I create another profile to match with its height. It worked > > fine, > > > > until I decided to open doors and windows on these new walls. When I > > open > > > a > > > > door, It cut the sweep at that point from top to bottom, and windows > > > didn't > > > > even worked. It opens the windows on the real wall behind the sweep > but > > it > > > > does not touch the sweep. > > > > > > > > So, I am wondering how I can create walls which have complex profiles. > > > > > > > > Thank you very much... > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous

Thank you very much Scott, You are saving me big time. I did exactly as you said and it worked fine. I am wondering if it is possible to associate in place families to a family without creating them together. I want to attach the frame to the door. I am not really picky, I am just trying to learn Revit with all possibilities. Thanks again, Bolkar "Scott Davis" wrote in message news:404d5366_2@newsprd01... > Change the door family to not include a frame, and then apply the frame > separately as an in-place family in your model to the tilted wall as a > sweep. You cannot make the frame automatically tilt to conform to the wall. > > Scott > > > "Bolkar" wrote in message news:404d2248$1_1@newsprd01... > > Alright alright, it worked fine. It just was not showing door and windows > on > > plan view while I try to insert them in my new wall. > > Thanks for your answer Scott. > > > > However I have another question. Since my wall is tilted, the door frame > > does not sit on my wall angel. They act if the wall is straight. > > How can I edit door to have its exterior frame rotated with same angel as > my > > wall? > > > > Thank you very much, > > > > Bolkar > > > > > > "Bolkar" wrote in message news:404cdfee_1@newsprd01... > > > Thank you for your advice. I draw the wall by using create button under > > > modeling tab. From there I select wall and modeled my wall. It worked > very > > > good. However when I try to put window or door, I cant select that wall. > > Am > > > I doing something wrong? > > > > > > On plan view my building looks like a box, so As path I draw the whole > > box, > > > and draw the profile. and it makes it a single object. Which I cant to > > > anything on... > > > > > > Thanks, > > > > > > Bolkar > > > > > > "Scott Davis" wrote in message > > > news:404aa817$1_2@newsprd01... > > > > Build the entire wall as an in-place family. In your case, use a > sweep, > > > and > > > > draw a profile the size and shape of your wall. Doors and windows > will > > > cut > > > > it properly. Don't use a sweep attached to the wall. > > > > > > > > "Bolkar" wrote in message > > news:404a914d_2@newsprd01... > > > > > Hello, > > > > > > > > > > I am trying to build a wall looking like this image. I did this with > > > > > creating a profile for my wall and then attached it as wall sweep. I > > > > needed > > > > > several walls with different heights to have this profile, so for > each > > > > wall > > > > > height, I create another profile to match with its height. It worked > > > fine, > > > > > until I decided to open doors and windows on these new walls. When I > > > open > > > > a > > > > > door, It cut the sweep at that point from top to bottom, and windows > > > > didn't > > > > > even worked. It opens the windows on the real wall behind the sweep > > but > > > it > > > > > does not touch the sweep. > > > > > > > > > > So, I am wondering how I can create walls which have complex > profiles. > > > > > > > > > > Thank you very much... > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 7 of 7
Anonymous

You can lock the geometry of the frame to the door, when you are creating the in-place frame. If you use the option to draw a sketch by "picking" rather than drawing the lines, when you pick the opening, lock boxes will appear. Click them to lock. Then when you finish the skecth, and finish the family, if the door moves, the frame will move with it. If you have drawn the lines using the normal line tool, then you can grab the sketch lines one at a time, move them away from where they need to be slightly, then back to where they should go. They should snap to position, and then the lock box will appear. Yet another way, is to draw the sweep path lines away from their intended position, then use the align tool to position them to the right spot. After aligning, the lock box will appear. SD "Bolkar" wrote in message news:404eb526_2@newsprd01... > Thank you very much Scott, > > You are saving me big time. > I did exactly as you said and it worked fine. > I am wondering if it is possible to associate in place families to a family > without creating them together. > I want to attach the frame to the door. > I am not really picky, I am just trying to learn Revit with all > possibilities. > > Thanks again, > > Bolkar > > "Scott Davis" wrote in message > news:404d5366_2@newsprd01... > > Change the door family to not include a frame, and then apply the frame > > separately as an in-place family in your model to the tilted wall as a > > sweep. You cannot make the frame automatically tilt to conform to the > wall. > > > > Scott > > > > > > "Bolkar" wrote in message > news:404d2248$1_1@newsprd01... > > > Alright alright, it worked fine. It just was not showing door and > windows > > on > > > plan view while I try to insert them in my new wall. > > > Thanks for your answer Scott. > > > > > > However I have another question. Since my wall is tilted, the door frame > > > does not sit on my wall angel. They act if the wall is straight. > > > How can I edit door to have its exterior frame rotated with same angel > as > > my > > > wall? > > > > > > Thank you very much, > > > > > > Bolkar > > > > > > > > > "Bolkar" wrote in message > news:404cdfee_1@newsprd01... > > > > Thank you for your advice. I draw the wall by using create button > under > > > > modeling tab. From there I select wall and modeled my wall. It worked > > very > > > > good. However when I try to put window or door, I cant select that > wall. > > > Am > > > > I doing something wrong? > > > > > > > > On plan view my building looks like a box, so As path I draw the > whole > > > box, > > > > and draw the profile. and it makes it a single object. Which I cant to > > > > anything on... > > > > > > > > Thanks, > > > > > > > > Bolkar > > > > > > > > "Scott Davis" wrote in message > > > > news:404aa817$1_2@newsprd01... > > > > > Build the entire wall as an in-place family. In your case, use a > > sweep, > > > > and > > > > > draw a profile the size and shape of your wall. Doors and windows > > will > > > > cut > > > > > it properly. Don't use a sweep attached to the wall. > > > > > > > > > > "Bolkar" wrote in message > > > news:404a914d_2@newsprd01... > > > > > > Hello, > > > > > > > > > > > > I am trying to build a wall looking like this image. I did this > with > > > > > > creating a profile for my wall and then attached it as wall sweep. > I > > > > > needed > > > > > > several walls with different heights to have this profile, so for > > each > > > > > wall > > > > > > height, I create another profile to match with its height. It > worked > > > > fine, > > > > > > until I decided to open doors and windows on these new walls. When > I > > > > open > > > > > a > > > > > > door, It cut the sweep at that point from top to bottom, and > windows > > > > > didn't > > > > > > even worked. It opens the windows on the real wall behind the > sweep > > > but > > > > it > > > > > > does not touch the sweep. > > > > > > > > > > > > So, I am wondering how I can create walls which have complex > > profiles. > > > > > > > > > > > > Thank you very much... > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report