Revit Architecture

BIMBoy
Message 1 of 3 (330 Views)

How to automate drawings from AutoCAD to Revit

330 Views, 2 Replies
12-17-2012 04:58 AM

Hi All

I am attempting to convert AutoCAD drawings in to Revit Models in Architecture 2012.

To speed up the process, I would like to automate the blocks from AutoCAD (signage, fire equipment, etc.) so that the appropriate Revit familiy is positioned in the exact same place.

I need to convert lots of drawings and estimate it would take months to do it manually, with the automation probably halfing the time needed.

Many thanks

*Expert Elite*
LisaDrago
Message 2 of 3 (294 Views)

Re: How to automate drawings from AutoCAD to Revit

12-18-2012 12:10 PM in reply to: BIMBoy

Off-had, I do not know  any way to automate this process. It would be a handy one to have but as far as I know it is all manual.

But I certainly don't know everything!

LD

If this helped solve your issue - remember to 'accept as solution' to help other find answers!
You can't think AutoCAD and run Revit.
Email: LisaDragoEE@gmail.com
BIMBoy
Message 3 of 3 (207 Views)

Re: How to automate drawings from AutoCAD to Revit

01-18-2013 06:56 AM in reply to: LisaDrago

Thanks.

I have since worked out a way, although at the moment it is probably more long winded than placing components on top of inserted DWG drawing manually.

There is a add-in called WhiteFeet. This allows exporting of schedules to Excel....you then extract the coordinates from AutoCAD to Excel and add that info to the Revit schedule. You then import the updated schedule back into Revit (but remember to add formula to convert to mm if you are using metric) and the families can then be moved into position.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Revit Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Revit helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Revit

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Youtube