Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you set lineweights for generic models imported from autocad?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
cbartlett
2003 Views, 5 Replies

How do you set lineweights for generic models imported from autocad?

I have an MEP dwg with 3d geometry that I would like to take a lineweighted section through.

I successfully made the section by importing the cad file into a generic mass, but I cant seem to get the lineweights to show up.

I've tried setting overrides and object styles for generic models, but it doesnt register the cut line, only the projection line style.

I also tried importing as an IFC, which also converts the file to generic models, but no dice.

Is there a trick out there for that? 

Many Thanks,

Chris B

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: cbartlett

I don't think so. In this case, Revit is not really cutting any Revit system families or loadable families, just making a clipped view of a .dwg; therefore, the cut line settings of Visibility Graphics don't apply in this case.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 6
cbartlett
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

I just found it works fine for 3D solids, unfortuantely my CAD file is all ACAD_PROXY_ENTITIES which I can't figure out how to convert.

Guess I'll have to lay down some file-type ground rules next time...

Thanks 

Message 4 of 6
vector2

Those imported lines are not Revit lines so Revit has no control over them. 

Message 5 of 6
cbartlett
in reply to: vector2

Okay, so in lieu of asking for a different model format  this is my method for achieving a section with linewieghts through a dwg of ductwork with ACAD_PROXY_ENTITIES in revit.  Its a bit of a workaround, but it gets the job done for now.

1.) Export to ifc which converts the proxies to surfaces and makes the model cuttable; When linked they turn to generic models.

2.) Take a section and set the farClip offset to and inch or two. Override generic model projection lines on this section to match your cut-line width.

3.) Duplicate the section and set the farClip offset to far. Keep your standard projection lines weights.

4.) Bring both sections onto a sheet and align them for the final combined section

Message 6 of 6
vector2

@cbartlett wrote:

Export to ifc which converts the proxies to surfaces and makes the model cuttable

You can import a DWG wireframe model into Revit and cut it in all directions. I've tried

converting DWG lines to IFC and bringing that into Revit, but I like the DWG much better.

If you know of some way to change the line weights of an imported DWG for printing

those lines from Revit, that's fine, but I would never have a reason to actually output DWG

lines from Revit. Everything I print from Revit is 100% Revit. (As advertised).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report