Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you guys collaborate between laptops and workstations?

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
matthewfuller
379 Views, 1 Reply

How do you guys collaborate between laptops and workstations?

Hey guys,

Hoping someone can help me out with this. Lets say I have 4 people that need access to a revit file, including myself, and sometimes we will be working on the file on workstations in one location, other times i will be working on my workstation at home and other times we will be working on our laptops, and some of the time without an internet connection.

Why question is, how do we collaborate and work on the same file while in different locations and sometimes without an active internet connection without conflicting? Can this even be done? I really want to be able to work from home and on the go at the same time as my college who will also be working on the file.

Thank you very much

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
AJA14
in reply to: matthewfuller

Hi. This is where you have to EDIT AT RISK (WORK OFFLINE). It is called edit at risk for a good reason because if you work offline and make changes and then when you have an active connection want to synchronize, no one should have made any changes to your modified elements, otherwise you cannot synchronize and you will loose all your changes. Therefore I would advice you to use the following workflow.

1- Create worksets that contain what you need to modify.

2- When you decide to work offline, make sure everyone synchronizes and then check out (make editable) the workset you will be modifying.

3- When you are back online in the office you will synchronize and relinquish your workset giving others the ability to use it again.

Checking out the workset makes sure that no one modifies it while you are editing it offline.

Good Luck.

If this answers your question, please accept as solution.

By the way, you could create a central server file via WAN if you are using Revit 2013.

Ali Al-Hammoud
Structural Design Engineer
MZ & Partners Engineering Consultancy

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report