Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you delete unused dwg files?

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
haydenwse
3327 Views, 12 Replies

How do you delete unused dwg files?

In my project template I have some unused dwg files that I loaded before I realized that it is better to link them.  The show up in the "Imported Objects" in the Object Styles dialog box but the "delete" button is greyed out.  how do i delete this imported files with all of their layers?  Purge Unused doesn't work.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
CoreyDaun
in reply to: haydenwse

That "Delete" button you are seeing under Object Styles is for deleting Subcategories (which would be the AutoCAD Layers). If you can locate and delete all instances of the imported DWG files in your Views, all traces should vanish from the Project. I don't believe that there is a quick way to locate them, though, aside from manually searching your Views.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 13
haydenwse
in reply to: CoreyDaun

i have looked through all views and can't find any instances of the dwg.  very frustrating.

Message 4 of 13
CoreyDaun

Would you be able to attach your Project file here? If it's too large, send me a Private Message and I'll give you an email address.

If you cannot share the file, perhaps try this test: open your model (with "Detatch from Central" if it's a Workshared model so you don't risk messing anything up), and then start deleting Views. Check to see if the imports are removed as you go. There are a couple of ways that an imported object can be deviously hidden.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 5 of 13
SteveKStafford
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Do you still have access to the files you imported? If so, import them again. Select one, right click > select all instances in project. You should see more than one selected in the element count value next to the Filter icon on the status bar. Delete it. Repeat for the others.

IDEATE Explorer will let you search for imported DWG files and delete them (not free, starts at $399).

Whitefeet Tools has a similar feature but I'm not sure what sort of pricing is involved with his tools right now.

There might be other options lurking at Autodesk's Exchange Apps.

My other older self here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/46056
Message 6 of 13
haydenwse
in reply to: SteveKStafford

Well I have tried everything suggested short of purchasing and app with little success.  I am just too stubborn to purchase a $400 app to fix a shortcoming that Autodesk has created in their product. 

This should be fixed by Autodesk.  Disappointing.

Message 7 of 13
Robert

I know this thread is old but does anyone has any updates on this? 

I tried what Steve suggested (Thanks Steve!). However, even though I imported the same file, Revit appended a number (1) to its name, making it a completely different family type than the one lurking in my model at that time. "Select all instances" therefore only got the new cad file instance 😞

Totally agree with haydenwse. Paying $400 for an addin for a $2000 software sounds bad to me! Found and decided to use DWG Explorer instead:

https://apps.autodesk.com/RVT/en/Detail/Index?id=2447830529583959175&appLang=en&os=Win64

It's tailored for finding, reviewing and purging individual imported or linked dwg, as well as deleting imported categories directly from VG. All at a cost of a cup of coffee (ok, may be two!).

Then when it's time to issue or archive your model, I use eTransmitt to include with the Revit file all linked DWGs it references. This encourages our team to link dwgs instead of importing them:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit-products/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2017/EN...

For now this workflow does justice for me, but I would prefer these simple features to be part of Revit already...

Message 8 of 13
haydenwse
in reply to: Robert

No solution that I have found.  My work around it if gets too bad is as follows.

• purge unused types.
  • place one type on a blank detail sheet then use the select all function and change to the next identical type.
  • repeat until all the duplicates have been found and returned to the proper family.
  • purge all unused type.
  • beat head on keyboard as required!
Message 9 of 13
NeginGHShir

Hi @haydenwse

This is the exact problem that I faced several times in Revit and since that I make it an Idea in Revit Idea board. If you are interested you can find it below and vote for it.

I think it would be great if we can have the imported files under the project browser like the linked file, which we can select and delete them from there.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/adding-imported-documents-to-project-browser/idi-p/702252...

Message 10 of 13
dl.kalimah

Very simple... Purge unused files, uncheck all, check imported items (under 01 - imported items or dwg).

Message 11 of 13
Sahay_R
in reply to: dl.kalimah

Use Dynamo.

Rina Sahay
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Architecture Certified Professional

If you find my post interesting, feel free to give a Kudo.
If it solves your problem, please click Accept to enhance the Forum.
Message 12 of 13
cbcarch

Try PyRevit free add-in:

one click to identify Linked and Imported CAD files. pyRevit Tab > Links > List DWGs > In Model. It then sorts by Linked and Imported. It will then give you a button to select the DWG import and then you press delete.

Cliff B. Collins
Registered Architect The Lamar Johnson Collaborative Architects-St. Louis, MO
Message 13 of 13

I also struggeld a lot with DWG´s. 

Either it is when linking it (zic-zac lines, not right located, not the right presentation) or the same as, when you deleting it from the project.

And the impact one model performance is huge. I am currently working on a Project, where it is almost impossible to move objects.

I spend so much hours with solving dwg-problems... it´s ridiclious.

Why there is no problem-Solving from autodesk and so the user itself have to look for solving with Dynamo or something else.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report