Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I dimension an imported 3d file?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
mmany
535 Views, 2 Replies

How do I dimension an imported 3d file?

Hi Revit Users

This is my first post and I'm a new Revit user so bear with me please.  I'm designing a piece of furniture in Rhino using Grasshopper.  I would like to create my measured drawings of this piece in Revit (as a way of learning the software).  I have linked the 5 components of the piece to my Revit project file (as SAT files but I could export them as something else if that would help).  All I want to do is create a single sheet showing 1 plan view, 2 elevations, 1 section and an exploded axon.  However, I cannot seem to dimension the components.  I need overall dimensions as well as the size of radii at curved corners in elevation and filleted corners in plan, and also thickness of the material used.

Is there something I need to do to get the dimensions to 'see' this set of objects?

Mmany thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
constantin.stroescu
in reply to: mmany

I am not sure I understand you well..Do you try to put dimensions in Sheet ? .

You have to put them in View. I did it for imported 3d from AutoCAD and Sketchup and allways work, but only in Views not in Sheets....

Pay attention how you choose the Work Plane for dimensionns. I use to draw some Reference Planes if necessary, put them names and use them as base for dimensions in 3d axonometric views

My example is a 3d imported Sketchup file...

..Image 249.png

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD

Your Name

EESignature

Message 3 of 3
mmany
in reply to: constantin.stroescu

Thank you for the reply.  I am also trying to dimension in the view, not the sheet.  When I have the dimension command active, it doesn't click on anything in my scene, I can't make the dimension.  I'll try your reference plane and I'll try in a 3d view. So far I've been trying in elevation and plan views.

thanks again

mmany

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report