Revit Architecture

*Expert Elite*
Alfredo_Medina
Message 1 of 22 (1,927 Views)

Help needed about Revit Server 2013

1927 Views, 21 Replies
05-03-2012 06:42 AM

I would appreciate some help understanding the new behavior of Revit Server, in 2013. I used to have Revit Server 2012 in my server, and I used to be able to connect from my laptop and see the folders that I had created in the server, open the folder, and save the file, but now, in 2013, even though I have followed the instructions, and I can connect to the server,  I can't see, from my laptop, the folders that I have made in the server. I wonder if this has anything to do with my choice for those 3 options that appear at the time of installation: Host, Accelerator, and Admin. I chose all three.

This was the workflow in Revit Server 2012:

In Revit 2012, the icon to connect says "Connect to Revit Server" , I could connect, and then when I went to save, in the file dialog box, I had an icon that looked like a server, and was named simply as "Revit Server", which I could open and see my folders, and save my files. Everything was OK.

This is what happens in Revit Server 2013:

The icon to connect says "Manage connection to a Revit Server accelerator" , I can connect to the server, and then when I go to save, in the file dialog box, the icon now says "Revit Server Network", different name, but when I go to save, in the file dialog box, I can't see the folders that I have created in the server.

• I set up the RSN.ini file, and I can connect to the server correctly; the connection is not the problem, but where are my folders?
  • The new names, "Manage connection to a Revit Server accelerator" instead of "Connect to Revit Server" and  "Revit Server Network" instead of "Revit Server", are those the new standard names, or are they a consequence of the choices I made during the installation?

revit_server_13.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Planta1 Revit Online Consulting | info@planta1.com | my Twitter | The Planta1 Blog
*Expert Elite*
Alfredo_Medina
Message 2 of 22 (1,887 Views)

Re: Help needed about Revit Server 2013

05-03-2012 05:25 PM in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Never mind. I found the answer. The same RSN.ini file needs to be in both places, server and remote user.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Planta1 Revit Online Consulting | info@planta1.com | my Twitter | The Planta1 Blog
pt
pt
Message 3 of 22 (1,484 Views)

08-02-2012 03:37 AM in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

If both rsn.ini files are there but stil no servers visible, what to do then?

Peter

Regards
Peter Tranberg
NTI CADcenter, Denmark

revitogbim.blogspot.com

*Expert Elite*
Alfredo_Medina
Message 4 of 22 (1,478 Views)

08-02-2012 04:53 AM in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Hello, Peter, nice to see you here. I recommend you these 3 alternatives of help:

1. Ask an IT consultant. Most issues about Revit Server's connection are their territory, not ours.
  2. If you are under subscription, send question to Autodesk's Support. I did it and I got a quick reply by Lance Coffey.
  3. Read all about Revit Server in Wikihelp.
  4. Watch videos in Youtube and in the Wiki.
  5. Ask Cliff Collins. He is very well informed about this.
    http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?140287-Revit-Server

Probably you have already done all of the above, except # 5?

pt
pt
Message 5 of 22 (1,473 Views)

08-02-2012 05:20 AM in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Thanks Alfredo

I have done all that exept Product Support and contacting Cliff Collins. I will try Product Support.

Regards
Peter Tranberg
NTI CADcenter, Denmark

revitogbim.blogspot.com

*Expert Elite*
ccollins
Message 6 of 22 (1,459 Views)

08-02-2012 07:23 AM in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

I'm not sure I have the answer about having .ini files in all locations, but still no connectivity ( if I have the problem right?).

I'd check IIS setup, ping all servers from each location.

Also, an obvious one that sometimes gets overlooked is having Silverlight installed with latest version at all locations.

Does the Revit Server Admin web portal show anything in your browser?

Cliff B. Collins
Registered Architect/BIM Manager
Thalden Boyd Emery Architects
St. Louis, MO
pt
pt
Message 7 of 22 (1,455 Views)

08-02-2012 07:37 AM in reply to: ccollins

Hi 

Yes, I can connect and ping all servers, we have one with roles Host,Accelerator,Admin and one with roles Accelerator,admin. I can also reach both servers with http://<servername>/revitserveradmin2013 from my workstation, and see the folderstructure that I created.

The rsn.ini file is created on both servers and the workstation. As shown in this video http://thejame.wordpress.com/2012/04/21/revit-server-2013-revit-model-collaboration-across-lan-wan/#...

It should also be possible to see any host entry in the rsn.ini and see them even if they are "Ghosts" as in not present on the network.

Nothing shows up in the Revit workstation, not at open and also not when trying to save a workshared project. My firewall is checked for Files & Printers on the workstation as required.

Regards
Peter Tranberg
NTI CADcenter, Denmark

revitogbim.blogspot.com

*Expert Elite*
ccollins
Message 8 of 22 (1,443 Views)

08-02-2012 08:27 AM in reply to: pt

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Revit/enu/community/videos/Revit_Server/Configuring_Revit_Server_Prereq...

make sure all these steps have been followed.

Cliff B. Collins
St. Louis, MO
*Expert Elite*
Alfredo_Medina
Message 9 of 22 (1,436 Views)

08-02-2012 08:48 AM in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Thanks, Cliff, for the link to that video. It's the best video I've seen about that installation. Thanks.

*Expert Elite*
ccollins
Message 10 of 22 (1,432 Views)

08-02-2012 08:51 AM in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Yes--those are good reference videos. Esp. for us "archies" who are also trying to be "IT gurus"! :smileyhappy:

Cliff B. Collins
St. Louis, MO

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Revit Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Revit helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Revit

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Youtube