Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Handling a large number of elements

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
blagard
377 Views, 3 Replies

Handling a large number of elements

I have a student that has chosen to draw a baseball stadium as a project. He has inserted thousands of seats and has thousands more to insert but has already starting to experience some lag when viewing in 3D. Is there a way to handle all these seats so that it is less memory intensive? Does it help to group the elements?

Thank you.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
ccollins
in reply to: blagard

1. Open the seat family, go to Manage>Purge. Save, Reload into Project>Overwrite existing version.

Check the file size of the seat family--it should be as small as possible. Check that there is no Cadd imported

content in the family. This will slow Revit down.

2. Yes--Group all the seats.

3. Place all seats in a separate Revit Project, and Link it into the main Revit file using Shared Corrdinates.

Good luck!

Cliff B. Collins
Registered Architect/BIM Manager
Thalden Boyd Emery Architects
St. Louis, MO
Message 3 of 4
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: blagard

In my opinion, there are 3 good options:

Option 1 : A model family that contains an array of chairs, made with a nested chair.

Option 2 : An adaptive family that contains a nested adaptive family, which contains a nested chair. In the host family create a divided path, and a repetition of the nested adaptive family that contains the chair.

Option 3: Do not to model any chairs. Represent the seating by other means, with notes, or details, or a shaded floor plan, etc. Modeling thousands of chairs is not going to add more essential information to the model.

A group is not going to help with performance, in my opinion. Because you still have to copy all those chairs, either manually or with an array. Just make a test, and you'll see how different it is to try to make an array of 200 chairs, and then array that group 200 times. Most likely, your computer will stop responding, or it will finish after several minutes. Now, if you have a family with an array of nested chairs, this can be done in some seconds. But if I were you, I would do Option 3.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 4 of 4
ccollins
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Alfredo raised some good points.

However, the file size of the Family will tend to reflect either negatively or positely in the Project--i.e.

a complex adaptive family loaded with an array of 200 nested chair families, once loaded into the Project

may bog down performance.

I would opt for families of chairs, then Grouped, then populated into a fresh Revit model, Linked using Shared Coordinates into the main project.

We have done a lot of theaters and ballrooms, where this has become a challenge. The need for 3D Views has always come up in Schematic Design and well into DD/CD phases--so we have developed Families for seating and slot mchines

which are both 2D and 3D and can be turned on/off depending on what type of view is required.

Try a test of these methods, see how the models perform, then make your decision on how to most effectively meet your project requirements amd model performance.

Cliff B. Collins
Registered Architect/BIM Manager
Thalden Boyd Emery Architects
St. Louis, MO

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report