Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP! Revit Families are doing weird things?

0 REPLIES 0
Message 1 of 1
bmwm3owner
125 Views, 0 Replies

HELP! Revit Families are doing weird things?

Hello All. I will try to explain this the best that I can.

I have families in my project, especially detail components. I opened my drawing and discovered that some of the families, like Gypsum Wallboard, was not displaying its filled region properties of sand. I clicked on the detail component and then clicked "Edit Family". When I opened the family, the filled region properties said Sand Dense, but the pattern that was defined was gone. My first question is this: When I go to edit the family, is this the same family that is on my server? Whats really weird is that if I simply go to the open command and search for the Gypsum wallboard family, the family file looks correct. The sand pattern is there. What baffles me is that I know for a fact I originally loaded this GWB family from the same library. It seems that when I edit family, I am editing something different. My next question then is this: once I load a family into my Revit file, is it now independent from the family file on the server? Here is the next part that I do not understand. I decided to try an experiment. Since my GWB family has several size options, like 1/2", 5/8", etc, I decided to purge all of the sizes that were not in use. When i go to the dropdown list for GWB, the olny size available was 5/8". Great. I wanted to test my theory and see what purged. I then clicked on one of the GWB detail components and clicked on "Edit Family" I now noticed that I only had one size available, which tell me that this family is only local to the project and is not referencing the same family file on the server. Am I correct on this? Now I decided to load (File>Load Family) the GWB family that has all the sizes (this is the file on the server). What I don't understand is why it never asked me if I want to override the parameters and why did not the sizes show up in my drawing. I still only have one size GWB, not the several that the family file has.
One thing. Our family files on the server are located in folers with permissions set. I am the only person in the office with full control of permissions. Everyone else had read permissions, but no Write permissions.

Can anyone help me understand what the heck is going on? Thanks
0 REPLIES 0

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report