Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Guardrail Cables

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
EBSDallas
670 Views, 3 Replies

Guardrail Cables

I need a guardrail that uses cables for the intermediate "rails.  I'd like to be able to vary the diameter of the cables (i.e. small diameter for pedestrian guardrails and larger diameters for parking garages) for this and other projects but I'm having a hard time figuring how to do this.

Has anyone tried this before?

Thanks.

Everett

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
ccollins
in reply to: EBSDallas

You can create custom Railing Profile families, and then assign them to your various railing types.

i.e. create a new railing profile with an 1/8" diameter circle, name it "Cable 1/8" dia." .rfa (just for example)

and then load it into your project. Then, in your Railing structure setup, scroll down to your new cable profile and set it

for the railing components you need.

Create new railining profiles and repeat this process as needed.

Cliff B. Collins
Registered Architect/BIM Manager
Thalden Boyd Emery Architects
St. Louis, MO
Message 3 of 4
EBSDallas
in reply to: ccollins

Hello Cliff, I don't think my description of the problem was clear:

I need to be able to use this almost like a model line that has width and can be rendered.  It could be used for railings, suspension cables, guy wires etc.  I need to be able to change the length and diameter parameters.

I'm assuming that I'd want to do this using the generic line based family as a starting point.  At this point it isn't necessary for me to schedule any of this.  In fact if model lines could be given a thickness, material property and would then render properly that would work just fine for my puposes.

Thanks for your reply.

Everett

Message 4 of 4
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: EBSDallas

Cliff's response was correct as per your original question about railings. What you are saying now is different. Now you are talking about a multi-purpose family with a flexible length and a profile. It can be done in two ways: as a line based family or, if you need curves, as an adaptive family, both with sweeps of a 2d section.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report