Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Groups not in project browser

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Aminius
844 Views, 4 Replies

Groups not in project browser

Hi all.

This question is related to this problem.

I still haven't found a solution, so I'm trying to narrow it down by getting a better understanding of how Revit groups work in general.

In the basic sample project that comes with both Revit Architecture 2014 and 2015 (rac_basic_sample_project.rvt), there are four group types:

"Array Group 1" to "Array Group 4".

Only "Array Group 1" shows up in the project browser.

When I define a new group and try to change its type, I can, again, only select "Array Group 1" from the drop-down-box, the other three do not show.

So I can, as it seems, not create any new instances of these group types whatsoever.

Why is this? Are they somehow protected or locked?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
L.Maas
in reply to: Aminius

In the sample project they have created one (model) group named "Array Group 1" (made from the "Photovoltaic-Panel-SolarWorld-SunModule-(235-240)" family).

In the project, They have made an array of this group. By default Revit has "Group and Associate" selected when creating an array.

As revit only knows single dimension arrays they have arrayed the the newly created array to get an arrray of 4x3.

So these groups are special groups (Array Groups) to create the array and keep them associated. The confusing part is that the model group is named "Array Group 1". Thus only the model group is in the project browser.

The array groups are all instances of the model group (named "Array Group 1").

In summary they have Arrayed the Model Group (named "Array Group 1") resulting in an array group which they have arrayed to create a two dimensional  array.

Confusing maybe, but hopefully clarifies it a little bit.

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 3 of 5
Aminius
in reply to: L.Maas

Thanks for the reply, it clarifies a lot indeed! 🙂

What I don't get, though, is why Array Groups do not show in the Project browser in the first place...

Message 4 of 5
L.Maas
in reply to: Aminius

Array Groups are more of a construct. They are instances of a component(s) (or grouped compponents). So they are dependent on the original component/group.

There is also very little to change about array groups. If you change the original component/group it will propagate through the whole array group.

So even if it would show up in the project browser it would not be possible to do something useful with it.

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 5 of 5
Aminius
in reply to: L.Maas

Well, just seeing that they are there would have been helpful to me already.

You see, when I get a project from a 3rd party that I need to process, I want to see how that project is structured and organized.

A Project Browser that hides important information from me for no good reason is... well, pretty useless.

But that's obviously not you fault, so, thanks again for the reply. 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report