Revit Architecture

Message 11 of 16 (111 Views)

Re: Glass ball/concrete skin

04-17-2013 10:08 PM in reply to: mcfletch2015

I'm not getting the same results you made with the textures. I used a jpeg of the pattern I wanted for the relief and the cutout in revit and what happens is the solid portion is transparent and the transparent is solid.

*Expert Elite*
constantin.stroescu
Message 12 of 16 (107 Views)

04-18-2013 12:57 AM in reply to: mcfletch2015

use Invert Image option

look in the attached file where you can find it under Cutouts options...

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD
Message 13 of 16 (100 Views)

04-18-2013 01:17 AM in reply to: constantin.stroescu
I figured it out and thank you for your help! Much appreciated.

--
*Micaiah Fletcher*

University of Houston Gerald D. Hines College of Architecture
AIAS Social Coordinator

*mcfletch2015@gmail.com*
*Expert Elite*
Alfredo_Medina
Message 14 of 16 (86 Views)

04-18-2013 03:46 AM in reply to: mcfletch2015

Did you want just an image or a true 3d model?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Planta1 Revit Online Consulting | info@planta1.com | my Twitter | The Planta1 Blog
Mentor
Message 15 of 16 (69 Views)

04-18-2013 02:48 PM in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

I'm guessing not - but does Revit support normal mapping ?

That, in combination with a cut-out / opacity map would work well in getting the mix of materials + 3d effect without the surface being modelled in Revit. It wouldn't work as well from oblique angles - but more perpendicular views would look right.

*Expert Elite*
constantin.stroescu
Message 16 of 16 (54 Views)

04-18-2013 11:52 PM in reply to: MKEllis

hi Martin,

as you have already  open this subject about mapping in Revit ...I would  like to add that from my experience is good to be aware what are the limits of a software. I think that in mapping and materials Revit has some limitations.. it can not do everything at a top level. So, why not export the scene in 3ds Max design ( the material are in shared base so they will preserve) and there to add some special objects and mappings (curtains, cushions, organic shapes , complex mappings)...In fact what matters is a good result even that can mean for some people a sort of "betrayal " 

Anyway I am , in practice , against overmodeling in Revit (or in any other program), and I think this could be a real danger  for people that try to model every detail.......this is a lesson I learnd using 3d Studio release 4 , at a time when computer resources were much lower...but this lesson is good even today.

Constantin

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Welcome to the new Autodesk Community!
If this is your first visit, click here to get started and make the most of the Community. Let us know what you think of the new experience in the Community Feedback Forum.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Revit Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Revit helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Revit

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Youtube