Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Glass ball/concrete skin

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
mcfletch2015
750 Views, 15 Replies

Glass ball/concrete skin

Is there any way to replicate this skin of solid glass spheres hardened into concrete in the form of a panel of some sort?

2.PNG

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16

What is the pattern or logic, if there is a pattern?

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 16

There isn't a specific pattern or logic. I'm simply trying to accomplish the idea of how glass balls are molded into the concrete that have transmissive and reflective qualities of light.

Message 4 of 16

That what you want is more typical for 3DS Max .....In Max this can be done both by 3d modeling - for instance using Box with Latice Modifier(or a other more sofisticated function) or by bitmap material maping.

Exporting 3d dwg from Max to Revit can be done , but in this case the model is too complicated, 

If you want to do it in Revit , my opinion is that the only choice is to use material maping....

In order to achieve this task :

• first create  in Photoshop a texture for the material ,one for Relief Pattern and one for Cutouts (in this case can be used the same map)
  • in Revit , select the object and apply a new material , it has to be a metal material because metal has Cutouts (a transparence filter) for example : Stainless steel <> Relief Pattern <>Cutouts ...apply the image created in Photoshop

I attached a render to see what can be done using this method....

A better method is to export the Revit file (fbx file) into 3ds Max and making there the material using the same Photoshop material and rendering...

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD
Message 5 of 16

I used rhino for the image I sent you but the rendering process with the geometries and the compatibility with revit wasn't working well. This alternative helps a lot. I appreciate your efforts. I will try to do this and see if I get the same results.

Message 6 of 16

I din not work in Rhino , but as I know its files can be imported well in Revit.

I worked with imported 3d dwg objects ( in Families and then loaded in the Project )and they could edited only on material field but, they could be cut in sections...I supose the same happens with rhino files....

Maybe this documentation can help you for exporting to Revit:

http://www.bimtopia.com/faqs/item/transferring-models-rhino-to-revit-to-rhino.html

http://rhinorevit.wordpress.com/

http://wiki.bk.tudelft.nl/toi-pedia/Rhino_File_Exchange

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD
Message 7 of 16

This can be done in Revit, too, combining the following features: Divide & Repeat, and adaptive points.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 8 of 16

Would you mind elaborating a bit on this method?

Message 9 of 16

The explanation might be rather long for this format. I suggest you to visit the blog of Zach Kron, software analyst for Autodesk, the name of the blog is Buildz. He has some blog articles dedicated to the topic of Divide & Repeat, in combination to adaptive points.

Message 10 of 16
mcfletch2015
in reply to: mcfletch2015

Ok great! I will do so.
Message 11 of 16
mcfletch2015
in reply to: mcfletch2015

I'm not getting the same results you made with the textures. I used a jpeg of the pattern I wanted for the relief and the cutout in revit and what happens is the solid portion is transparent and the transparent is solid.

Message 12 of 16

use Invert Image option

look in the attached file where you can find it under Cutouts options...

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD
Message 13 of 16

I figured it out and thank you for your help! Much appreciated.

--
*Micaiah Fletcher*

University of Houston Gerald D. Hines College of Architecture
AIAS Social Coordinator

*mcfletch2015@gmail.com*
Message 14 of 16

Did you want just an image or a true 3d model?

Message 15 of 16
MKEllis
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

I'm guessing not - but does Revit support normal mapping ?

That, in combination with a cut-out / opacity map would work well in getting the mix of materials + 3d effect without the surface being modelled in Revit. It wouldn't work as well from oblique angles - but more perpendicular views would look right.

Message 16 of 16

hi Martin,

as you have already  open this subject about mapping in Revit ...I would  like to add that from my experience is good to be aware what are the limits of a software. I think that in mapping and materials Revit has some limitations.. it can not do everything at a top level. So, why not export the scene in 3ds Max design ( the material are in shared base so they will preserve) and there to add some special objects and mappings (curtains, cushions, organic shapes , complex mappings)...In fact what matters is a good result even that can mean for some people a sort of "betrayal " 

Anyway I am , in practice , against overmodeling in Revit (or in any other program), and I think this could be a real danger  for people that try to model every detail.......this is a lesson I learnd using 3d Studio release 4 , at a time when computer resources were much lower...but this lesson is good even today.

Constantin

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report