Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Glass Baluster

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
tonkata
23082 Views, 11 Replies

Glass Baluster

I'm having some trouble understand how I go about adjusting the glass panel downloaded from Seek.

What I'm trying to do is add a baluster with a plain glass planel. I'd like it to have a 10mm gap on both sides, no gap at the top/bottom.

Here is a snapshot of the plan view where it will be sitting

image1.JPG

I was thinking 2x panels for the 1986 side, and 3x panels on the 2932 side, so roughly 900mm wide?

First thing I did was open the Baluster Panel - Glass family which I downloaded from Autodesk Seek and clicked on family type - new. I adjusted the width to 900mm and gave it a side gap of 10mm, then loaded it back in my project.

image3.JPG

I then selected the default railing in my section and duplicated it.

Then I clicked on edit type - Baluster Placement, and changed the baluster type to the 900mm one I created within the family.

image4.JPG

After apply all the settings, my glass baluster looks like this. I guess I'm missing or not understanding the gap or width settings?

I would like 3x panels on this side of the path and 2x panels on the other.

image5.JPG

Any help is greatly appreciate.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
tonkata
in reply to: tonkata

Guys I'm still struggling with this one, anyone whiling to help out?

What I'm trying to do is create a railing with 600mm wide glass panels.

I've imported the M_Baluster Panel 1 : 600mm - Glass family and added it in Baluster Placement.

baluster1.JPG

I then drew a 1300mm railing path

path.JPG

But get the following gap? How do I eliminate these?

railing.JPG

Message 3 of 12
tonkata

Let me try and simplify this.

I've drawn a 1000mm railing path, and loaded the M_Baluster Panel - Glass w Brackets : 450mm w 25mm Gap as the panel. I've set the Dist. From previous to 450.0, and set all posts to non.

panel.JPG

From what I can see in the finished railing, there seems to be a 225 gap from the beginning of the railing.

How do I set this to be 0?

panel1.JPG

Message 4 of 12
Alfredo_Medina

The logic behind these patterns made of glass panels is kind of strange. The origin of the panels is the center reference plane, but the pattern needs to be "pushed" one half to the side, with the offset for the pattern end. At the end, the sum of the pattern needs to be equal to 2 panels. If the length of the railing is not a multple of the pattern, it can be fixed with the Excess length fill option. See if this illustration helps you understand the logic.

(Note: an alternative, much more manageable than this, is a curtain wall element with curtain wall panels)

panel_baluster.jpg

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 5 of 12
tonkata
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Alfredo you have no idea how long I've spent searching for an answer, THANK YOU SO MUCH.

So how do I now solve the end panel?

rail.JPG

Message 6 of 12
Alfredo_Medina

Good, please mark my previous post as a solution. 🙂

About your new question, perhaps you could set the railing to be a multiple of 900 mm, so that there are is not a leftover, and then make a new segment of railing with a narrower panel. Or, you could adjust the width of the current panel so that the length of the railing is a multiple of that width.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 7 of 12
tonkata

Oh I see what your saying.... so in otherwords if the end panel is 400mm wide (being the fill gap), I create a 400mm type of that panel in the family, then add that as a end post and offset my space -200mm

Once again, THANK YOU SO MUCH..! I have spent the past two days searching for an answer.

rail2.JPG

Message 8 of 12
Alfredo_Medina

You got it!  🙂

Message 9 of 12
tonkata

Alfredo, one more question if I may.

What if my railing has a bend, for example I create a "L" shape path, and the dimensions aren't even?

rail3.JPG

How would I then fix the corner panel? Or do I draw these as two separate paths and customs make the end panels?

If I go with option 2, will the railings join correctly?

rail4.JPG

Message 10 of 12
tonkata

I guess this could work?

Or like you said quickest and easiest would be to just use a curtain wall Smiley Happy 

rail6.JPG

Message 11 of 12

It's an old thread but this is what google finds when you search for Railing panel issues. I want to add that we always had issues with railing panels not working and we have always used curtain wall as a solution. However now that we need to submit some ifc files this has kicked us in the back as the IFCExportAs parameter is not working for curtain walls like for other elements and the entity is an ifcWall not an ifcRailing in the export. It is a bummer as even the most basic code checkings are looking for the height of ifcRailing.

This is just something to keep in mind if you deal with this.

Message 12 of 12

Not to mention that railings follow topo, so getting these panel settings and families set right is pretty important when trying to model up a site with fencing. It's much better looking and easier to model a railing that follows topo for a fence than it would be to create a hundred sections of curtainwall.

But if you are doing an actual railing inside of a building then the curtainwall trick can be effective.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report