Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generic line based family

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
jpe
Explorer
835 Views, 5 Replies

Generic line based family

Hi.

I am trying to make a generic line based family, where the generic part only shows i 3D and with a detail family which shows in front views. It is working ok when I place it on a work plan or on face of a wall, but when I place it on face of a roof the generic part is visible in all views. Why???

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
CoreyDaun
in reply to: jpe

Hi, and welcome to the Discussion Groups!

Detail Items, Generic Annotations (a more complex issue), and Symbolic Lines are only displayed in Views that are parallel to the element. Since your Family is hosted to the sloped Roof, it is not parallel to the Plan View so your Detail Item is not visible.

UnparallelToView.JPG

Here's another example using a Family that contains a nested Generic Annotation:

SlopedSmokes.JPG

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 6
jpe
Explorer
in reply to: CoreyDaun

The problem is not the nested detail. The problem is, that the generic part of the family is displayed in all views, when I draw it on the face of the roof. If I draw it on the face of a wall, it is working perfect = The generic part only visible in 3D-views.

Message 4 of 6
CoreyDaun

Right, but it's the same cause. I'm assuming that, in the Family Editor, you have set the Visibility/Graphics Overrides for the model objects that you don't want to see. In that dialog (see image below), even if "Plan/RCP", "Front/Back", and "Left/Right" are all disabled, the element will still display in a Floor Plan if the element in on an sloped surface. These visibility settings are relative to the orientation of the Family to the current View, so since the element is not parallel to the View, none of those are applicable, thus the element is displayed, regardless. They only way to prevent the model elements from displaying in this case is to either disable the object Visibility entirely, place them on a Subcategory and turn that off, or make those elements only display on a certain Detail Level.

FamilyElementVisibilitySettings.JPG

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 5 of 6
jpe
Explorer
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Hmmm... I was told by an Revit expert that this was how I should do it...

But thanks for the explanation - It makes sense  🙂

Message 6 of 6
CoreyDaun

A while ago, I had modeled a Lighting Fixture Family (represented by a specific nested Detail Item Family) that was intended to be placed on a sloped ceiling. I ran into this same situation, and couldn't get the Detail Item to display in lieu of the Family's geometry. What I ended up doing was create a special version on the Family that would remain parallel to the View (Always Vertical) but internal parametric controls allowed the user to manually input the ceiling's slope into the Lighting Fixture so that the Geometry would be rotated within the Family, thus displaying the Detail Item on Plan and showing the correct 3D Geometry.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report