Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fire rating lines in wall types

17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
twilks1
31544 Views, 17 Replies

Fire rating lines in wall types

Has anyone come up with a viable solution to have rating lines preset in a wall type? It just doesn't seem like rocket science but I have yet to hear of a simple or viable solution.

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
ryan.duell
in reply to: twilks1

The View Filter approach is usually one of the better ways to go about this, and have included an AUGI thread with some examples below:
Hope this helps,

The View Filter approach is usually one of the better ways to go about this; I have included an AUGI thread with some examples below:

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=92367

Hope this helps,

Ryan Duell
Message 3 of 18
alan.quinn

To add to Ryan’s reply here’s something that I had on hand. Let me know if this helps.

Thank you,

Message 4 of 18
twilks1
in reply to: alan.quinn

Alan, this was an awesome solution and exactly what I needed. Thanks much it was greatly appreciated.

Message 5 of 18
alan.quinn

Happy to help...

Message 6 of 18
jgonzalez

Alan, this is a great solution.  Unfortunately we have not moved forward with 2011 and I was wondering if you have this for 2010 or if you have the pat files associated with the wall types.

Thank you,

Jose

Message 7 of 18
alan.quinn
in reply to: jgonzalez

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I looked at home and unfortunately I cannot find the file. Perhaps the 2012 is now out you’ll be able to move to 2011.

Thank you,

Message 8 of 18
bbarkman

This is nice.  After I looked at this file I had an idea.  Since there are fill patterns for each of the ratings needed, could you add them to the "Coarse Scale Fill Pattern" property for each wall type?  Then you can set the detail level to Coarse for the plan view in which you need to see the fire ratings.  I thought of this after looking at the section view.  It seems that if a material with a "fire" cut pattern is used for each wall type, that would prevent you from showing the true patterns for them in a plan view that doesn't show fire ratings.  Also, if the Coarse Scale Fill Pattern gives you what you want it will be automatic.  You won't even need to apply the filters to the walls (those filters are very nice by the way).  It could be a one-click change to Coarse Detail for the entire view.

Just a thought...

Message 9 of 18
aturner77

I am using Revit 2015.

The system we use is (From AU 2015 "See what you want to see"):

1. Create a Wall Filter for each Fire Rated Wall Parameter.
  2. Add Filter to the Visibility Graphics-Filter Tab.
  3. Add Filled Region Fire Rating Type for Cut Pattern.

The Attached 2015 Revit file has this content.

Our problem is that we cannot see the Cut Patterm for the CMU walls.

Even when the Fill Region is changed to Transparent.

Any ideas.

Message 10 of 18
rleclerc

WOULD YOU MAKE AVAILABLE THE PATTERN FILE?

Message 11 of 18
cwinches
in reply to: ryan.duell

Unfortunately, there is glitch in Revit that does not allow for the correct display of overridden cut patterns via view filters: The pattern does not follow the orientation of the wall. It's a coding oversight that has yet to be resolved. Hopefully this can be relayed to the right people and patched sometime in the next release? 

Message 12 of 18
David125

Does only work when the wall is new? I placed it in my model and it looked fine till I changed it to an existing wall, then the 2hr fire rating pattern just disappeared

Message 13 of 18
ToanDN
in reply to: David125

@David125 wrote:

Does only work when the wall is new? I placed it in my model and it looked fine till I changed it to an existing wall, then the 2hr fire rating pattern just disappeared

The priority of overriding elements graphic is like this:

Elements override in view > View filter override > Phase filter override > Family type override (where applicable) > Category override

So, a Fire tape is a Wall type override (Coarse scale cut pattern) will be overrun by Phase filter override. 

To show fire tape for existing walls, you can change the Phase filter for existing element to show the original cut pattern, but make it halftone or a different color to differentiate with the new walls of the same fire rating.

Technically, you could create a View filter for each existing fire rating and assign a fire tape cut pattern for it.  Unfortunately, unless your fire tape patterns are solid, they cannot follow the wall orientation properly with View filter override.

Message 14 of 18
jason.quarry
in reply to: ToanDN

What about Smoke and Fire Barriers? How are these handled with the filter approach?

Has anyone attempted to format anything to the National Cad Standards linetypes for fire ratings? Linetype with the Diamonds and S for smoke barriers?

Message 15 of 18
rharness
in reply to: jason.quarry

We have tried many of these options listed above, but our State Fire Marshal wants to see the same graphic on all plans, sections and details. This is on the architectural drawings as well as all of the consultant drawings. We have found the putting a pattern in the wall type does allow this to show on new walls, not existing. The other problem we are having is there is not enough patterns to show smoke partition, smoke barrier, 30m & 1hr partition, fire barriers, and fire walls. I have recently come across Revit Ideas, suggestions to integrate into the software.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/fire-tape-built-into-wall-properties/idi-p/6819733

Message 16 of 18
ToanDN
in reply to: rharness

Maybe it's time to use different colors for different wall types.
Message 17 of 18
mmeinert
in reply to: ToanDN

For existing and any earlier phase views than new one has to change the Detail Level for Walls from "By View" to "Coarse"  in your VG when you make your filter to show the fire tape pattern. Otherwise the pattern only show in views set to "New" phase. Remember that materials patterns are Coarse Scale Fill Patterns.

Message 18 of 18
mmeinert
in reply to: David125

In your VG change wall type from "By View" to "Coarse" Detail Level and this will also work for views set to an earlier phase. Material patterns are coarse fill patterns. Cheers!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report