Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File type associations screwed up after installing RAC 2012

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
ddunn1
1969 Views, 6 Replies

File type associations screwed up after installing RAC 2012

My windows explorer file type associations have become messed up after installing RAC 2012. RVT Files are now inexplicably associated with WinRAR and even when I go in and uncheck the "always use this program" button and manually point it to the "revit.exe" program in the proper directory, it will not let go of the WinRAR association.

Any thoughts, suggestions?  Do I need to uninstall and re-install?  I hope not!

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
jonmcfarlandGY
in reply to: ddunn1

In Windows 7, click Start > Default Programs >  Associate a File Type or Protocol with a Program.

Select .rvt

Click Change Program

Click Browse

find and click the Revit.exe file

In Windows XP, this is done in Windows Explorer - go to Tools > Folder Options > File Types and reassociate it there.

Jon

Jon

Please select "Accept as Solution" if your question was answered
Message 3 of 7
greggcon40

I'm having the same problem.  The fix suggested above does not work.  Even if i point to Revit.exe, another program is associated with it (in my case first it was Adobe reader which I uninstalled, but then it pointed to windows media center).  An obvious bug, but i don't know if it's in Windows 7 or Revit.  I have a feeling it's a windows 7 issue knowing Microsoft's track record.  Any other ideas out there to fix this?

Message 4 of 7
ddunn1

I ended up having to go into the Windows Registry and manually changing the File Type Association there, Don't ask me where, I just searched for it until I found the listing that had the INCORRECT program association and then manually typed in the correct path to Revit.exe and then it started working fine. I think it was in the Software section, where there is a listing of known file extensions, it was under auto-open or something like that.

Message 5 of 7
byrongehrig3441

I ran into this same problem when i switched over form Revit Architecture 2012 to 2013.
In regedit: Navigate to Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications and find your .exe name. 
Navigate under its name to shell>open>command. In the Default change its location to the actual location of the executable, hit okay and then try and reassociate the file type as you normally would (Right click on a revit file, and hit open with, and Revit should now be one of the choices)
Hope this helps.
Message 6 of 7
mgrugl

Thank you so much. This works! Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 7

Thank you very much this tip and it has worked.

It is typical that Microsoft make it so difficult to associate a file and people have to resort to modifying the registry.  The worst part is Windows 7 gives the impression that you can right click on a file (properties > general > change > browse (to Revit.exe)) and pick a program from an exe file but as someone else says it just resorts to another program. In my case Adobe Illustartor and Adobe Audition.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report