Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File Path Label - Titleblock

18 REPLIES 18
SOLVED
Message 1 of 19
damo3
11506 Views, 18 Replies

File Path Label - Titleblock

Is there a way to get a filename label in the title block??

At the moment filepath label is used, but this path is too long for the small space we have.

I have only found 2 posts on this subject, but both are more than 5 years old.

Thanks in advance for any help.

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
parveen.revit
in reply to: damo3

though it is not a direct answer to your question to add file name in title block (drawing sheet).

But you can try and achieve very similar (and i would say better) result.

Steps to follow.

Edit title block family

edit the date label on the bottom right hand corner

Edit label, remove date stamp, add Project Name

load into project

now in your project, go to manage Tab, settings panel, project information tool and edit project name parameter.

I said it would be better than file name because using this feature you can assign project name to all sheets even if these sheets are stored in different revit files (architectural. structural, MEP) .

And you can enter file name in the proejct name parameter if you want that only.

Let us know your feedback.

Parveen_Intec_Infocom (BIM, CAD, GIS, QS Services' Provider)
Message 3 of 19
Alfredo_Medina

I don't agree. Project name and File path are very different things. In my opinion, if they have the file path label already but it's too long, as they say, simply make the text of the label be justified to the right, so that the path begins at the lower right corner of the sheet, and has all the width to the left available for any length, allowing very long paths if necessary.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 4 of 19
damo3

Alfredo, unfortunately due to the office titleblock, I have very limited room regardless of justification. In AutoCAD i was able to specifiy file name only and we never had any problems.

I find it both strange and frustrating Autodesk doesnt use some fundamental basics from there 30 years in AutoCAD to maybe share a few ideas across to Revit.

Message 5 of 19
Alfredo_Medina

The file path is usually placed outside of the margins of the title block, either from the lower right corner, right justified, or from the lower left corner, left justified, with a small font. The whole width of the titleblock is more than enough space for a very long file path.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 6 of 19
damo3
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Alfredo, I appreciate every office is different. I am not looking for a plot stamp style.

In our office using our methods, I am looking for a filename only within out titleblock which the admin staff use for reference as they already know where the drawings are in our folder tree, they only need a filename to know where the sheet came from.  

Thanks anyway.

Message 7 of 19
Alfredo_Medina

I see. I read your original question again, and now I understand it better. It's a different property, that is not available: filename. Sounds like a task for custom programming (API).

Message 8 of 19
damo3

I have actually managed to achieve what I am after by using a shared parameter. It's not automated like originally desired, but part of the project information now, so it can't be missed.

Thanks.

Message 9 of 19
Alfredo_Medina

Ah, OK. As suggested in message # 2, above, by Parveen.revit.

Message 10 of 19
damo3

Similar. The above post uses, (from what I read) an existing OTB parameter. Instead I have created a shared parameters file which we can now use as office standard and I can include all the custom shared parameters I create in our office template. I place all of these under Project Information category as mentioned above so it can all be entered as global data. Of course I'm only just starting out so this is all pretty new.

Message 11 of 19
parveen.revit

glad to know that you are able to reach desired result (but Autodesk should make it easy since it's a common requirement).

What I suggested was a easy to do work around and the next step to make it more intelligent could be the Shared Parameter which you have established.

Parveen_Intec_Infocom (BIM, CAD, GIS, QS Services' Provider)
Message 12 of 19
NinAid

I have a similar problem with the File Path-Label.

I'm working on a shared project, so when printing a sheet the file label refers to my LOCAL file, with my initials and stuff added to it, instead of the CENTRAL file...!

Has anyone found a solution for this?

How can I redirect the file path label to point to the central file?

Message 13 of 19
adamenko1984

Long Path Tool could be helpful in this situation.
Message 14 of 19
john.kinder

I agree damo3. This is easy for a software developer to fix/add. This will never happen though. Autodesk just created forums to let us get our frustrations out. They will never fix anything intentionally. They think if you are using their software that you should know everything about computer programming or magically know what you don't know. They don't know that their own products are industry specif and that I AM NOT A SOFTWARE DEVELOPER. "It's the best thing out there" is the only excuse you're going to get. 30 years out the window and no hope in sight. Again Autodesk, ARCHITECTS ARE NOT SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS. Run a beta like Play Station or something. Take a hint. Maybe we'll have more luck if we just go back to grade school.

Love you guys! Looking forward to more workarounds today!
Message 15 of 19

I don't know.  Can the Autodesk programmers really do that?  That sounds pretty hard.  I'm not sure they're at the level of being able to create a lable for File Names (only) in addition to the one they already have for File Path.  I'm no programmer but I thnk that's a little out of Autodesks reach.  Think it'll be in the next release?

Message 16 of 19

Hello Alfredo.

Per your post I think you can assist me. I recall in versions past in Auto CAD. I was able to hit a couple of key strokes and obtain a text insert of the current file path for the specific drawing I was working in. it was a simple single line dtext, I simply placed the text in the lower RH corner outside of the border in the margin area and every thing was fine. However I cant remember if it was a custom Lisp, hot key or standard CAD command. Can you help?

Tags (2)
Message 17 of 19
ToanDN
in reply to: jamie.hernandez

In AutoCAD it would just either be a Field referencing File Nam an Path, or
an rtext with a Diesel Code.
Message 18 of 19
jamie.hernandez
in reply to: ToanDN

ToanDN

Thank you,

Message 19 of 19
solvdesigns

This discussion is old, so it is unlikely that this really helps the OP, but it may help someone else.

Creating a shared parameter for filename is one way of doing this, but then that parameter needs to be manually updated each time and you are never certain if the filename shown on a plot is really the correct filename.  Since I use a version system in my filenames, I really want my filename stamp to ALWAYS and AUTOMATICALLY show the actual filename.  But, I don't want the whole file path.

My work around is kind of ridiculous (since it would be far better to just have a real filename parameter built into Revit) but it does seem to work. 

I created a plot stamp using a label with the file path parameter.  I put this in the bottom right corner of my sheet rotated so it runs vertical and reads from the right.  I made it right aligned.  It has to extend off the sheet to the left/bottom quite a bit so the whole file path fits without wrapping. 

That by itself works, but it leaves text running right to the edge of the page and does not look clean.

I addressed that last problem by creating another label (I just used a second project number label, but you could use whatever-you will need a label with a value in it.) and made the font a almost white (colors 254,254,254) and the background opaque.  I put that second label over the file path label so that it cuts it off right where the filename starts.  Because it is almost white it doesn't get turned black and doesn't show when plotted.  (Since I used the project number, even if it did somehow show, it would at least make sense.)

You will probably have to fiddle with the alignment a few times to get everything just right.

Since my filenames are a consistent length, this works okay for me.  If your filenames vary in length, it could still work but would involve more fiddling with the alignment for each project.

Hope that helps someone!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report