Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Family tutorials

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
mbuonocore
498 Views, 5 Replies

Family tutorials

What ever happend to that big thick family tutorial guide from version 2009-2010? Is there one for Revit 2013?

You know the one with the bookcase, door, window and solar shade.  They were great teaching tools.

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
LisaDrago
in reply to: mbuonocore

No - those tutorials have not been updated... And are well out of date.

They do not have any family tutorials that I know if.

LD

If this helped solve your issue - remember to 'accept as solution' to help other find answers!
You can't think AutoCAD and run Revit.
Email: LisaDragoEE@gmail.com
Message 3 of 6
loboarch
in reply to: LisaDrago

@LisaDrago wrote:

No - those tutorials have not been updated... And are well out of date.

They do not have any family tutorials that I know if.

LD

This is correct.  not a tremendous amount has changed in the family editor since those tutorials were originally published.  Some of the information contained in those tutorials were recently added in the wikihelp.

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Revit/enu/2014/Help/0001-Revit_Us1/0384-Build_th384/1396-Revit_Fa1396

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 4 of 6
mbuonocore
in reply to: loboarch

I see that in Wikihelp but it was nice to have a hardcopy of read and follow instead of reading wiki then go back to the software again and again.

Message 5 of 6
FitzUS
in reply to: mbuonocore

I think you are looking for this:

http://revit.downloads.autodesk.com/download/RAC2009/Families_Guide/ENU/Family_Guide/PDF/Architectur...

Although it hasn't been updated.  I still think it is one of the best, step by step, explanations of families.  Perhaps because it is so old the concepts are simplified and easy to grasp.  All this effort to make video tutorials seems to be more flash than substance.

Message 6 of 6
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: FitzUS

FitzUS wrote:... All this effort to make video tutorials seems to be more flash than substance.

There is a lot of difference between a video that lasts less than 1 minute, which is the kind of video tutorials that Autodesk puts in Youtube, and other videos that other authors have created (or are creating at the moment). Those videos by Autodesk are intended to show a quick peek of a new feature, and that's why they are so short. While the other videos will explain more in detail how to use the feature in a project, usually in videos of 5 minutes or more. And, believe me, good videos can have lots of "substance". A video is a very powerful media, much more effective than a printed book or an online written tutorial.

There are excellent series of video tutorials on families. I can recommend you the work of Simon Whitbread and Paul Aubin.

I have started to make my own series of video tutorials on families. If you want to read about it, please visit my blog at:  http://www.planta1.com/blog/#/planta1-revit-blog-back

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report