Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Family Text Parameter - Selectable List

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
revitus
10249 Views, 3 Replies

Family Text Parameter - Selectable List

I want to create a text parameter with a pre-defined list (drop-down) of acceptable values.  What is the best way to achieve this?

For example, I have a security screen that will cover a window, and there are about 6 different Panel infill options, including perforated metal in various strengths, and stainless steel mesh in various grades.  I find it extraneous to create a different material for each of them.  The important thing is that the infill type schedules properly based on the Revit User's selection.

Thanks for helping if you can!

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
ryan.duell
in reply to: revitus

You may want to utilize a family type parameter for this type of workflow, if you are actually changing geometry \ information when toggling a type.  I have included 2 example posts below with additional information:

http://blog.cadway.com.au/2007/09/family-type-parameter-for-swappable.html

http://www.revitforum.org/showthread.php/57-Family-type-parameter-for-nested-families

Thank you,

Ryan Duell
Message 3 of 4
revitus

I have used the ...Family Type parameter a lot.  In this case, however, I want the parameter to only appear on schedules and not be reflective of the model geometry.  I did consider your recommended approach since I know that the Family Type parameter promotes a drop-down selection list, however, it seemed strange to create a "blank" family for each option and nest them all in the parent family for this functionality.

It definately seems like a work-around.  The main problems I see with it are:

1) I can't use "special characters" in the family name - I need to specify: 12-Mesh, .028" Diameter, but I can't use the inch (") sign in the Family name.

2) There is no good Family Type Category to put these under - I need to be careful as to the Type of Family in case another nested family of the same type were to be loaded, then it would appear on the drop-down list as an available option (scary).

3) I need more than one Parameter to function this way in the same Family (one for Infill Type, and one for Infill Description), so now I would have to determine two different Types of Families to classify them (one for each list).

Please continue to discuss this with me.

Message 4 of 4
revitus

I've done a comparison to determine the effect that this "preferred" functionality has.

I made the Family with two Selectable Lists using Shared Parameters of Type = Family Type, with about 6 options each (nested Families - using categories Air Terminals and Cable Tray Fittings).  After I finished, my Family file was 1008 Kb.

I then deleted those parameters and replaced them with Text Parameters, purged the 12 nested families, and my Family file was 400 Kb.

1008 Kb isn't necessarily terrible, but I really wish there was a better way!

Scott

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report