Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Families - Lock Parameter value across all Types

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
itrymybest
2470 Views, 8 Replies

Families - Lock Parameter value across all Types

Good day, all-

Hopefully the subject says it all.  I have a family that has over thirty types and I need to update a single parameter value across all types to be the same value.  Is there a global way anyone knows to perform this task instead of the current copy/paste/paste/paste method I am doing.  I thought about exporting to a catalog and modifying the text file in Excel, but I lose my formulae when I do that.

Any help would be appreciated. 

If this isn't possible, this would be a good wishlist item, Autodesk - where a family has global parameters that are consistent throughout the family, regardless of type.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: itrymybest

Make the parameter equal to a value, in the formula column, in one of the types. Then, the parameter will adquire that value in all the other types.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 9
parveen.revit

First of all you need to understand the essentials of creating a family which has multiple type:

You have created the family in a wrong way if it has over thirty types.

It is a know fact that any family which has more than 6 types should be created using TYPE CATALOG .

In case you don't know, type catalog is a simple text (.txt) file with very simple syntax to write.

You need to put the type catalog file in the same folder where you family is saved.

If you want to change the value of one particular parameter, you can easily do that in a type catalog text file.

Let me know if want to know more about 'how to create type catalog'.

Parveen_Intec_Infocom (BIM, CAD, GIS, QS Services' Provider)
Message 4 of 9
itrymybest
in reply to: parveen.revit

Thanks Alfredo and Parveen-

Placing the value in the formula column worked in the fashion I was looking.  In the end, I will use a combination of both suggestions - I just still needed to maintain the formula relationships inside of Revit at this time.  The catalog was always the intent.

Message 5 of 9
rosskirby

While I agree that having a large number of types within one family can become cumbersome, I wouldn't go so far as to set a limit of 6 types before a type catalogue is needed.  I have some families with around 10-12 types in them, based on various visibility configurations, that wouldn't necessarily benefit from a type catalogue.  Whether or not someone decides to use a type catalog should be a decision made based on the family they're creating, not just the number of types within that family.  Just my two cents.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 6 of 9
parveen.revit
in reply to: rosskirby

if the number of family type (with simple paramters like length,width and height etc.) is higher, you'll find it difficult to create that number of types within family. It takes more than just typing it in a text document.

my team has created more than 8000 families for different manufactureres and consultant across globe and has developed excellent checklist, some add-in tools for automated quality check and to make sure we follow the standard steps to comply with autodeks seek guideline. 

based on their experience they have suggested that 6 is the benchmark number to decide to go for Type Catalog.

Message 7 of 9
rosskirby

For families with simple parameters, yes, a type catalog can be useful.

But if I've got, let's say, a cubicle family, with multiple nested families for various pieces of equipment (desks, filing cabinets, lighting, power, partitions, etc.), all with various location and on/off configurations, then a type catalog is less useful, even if I have more than 6 types.

I just didn't want people to interpret your phrasing in your previous post as implying that there's some kind of hard-limit on the number of types you can have within a family before you need to use a type catalog.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 8 of 9
parveen.revit
in reply to: rosskirby

It all depends on the level of comfort. If you could do it with family types within family without spending too much time, its good.

Whatever save you time and hassle, should be your preference.

Message 9 of 9
tuuletin

Hello, is it possible to lock <Family Type...> parameter?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report