Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extend columns to curved roof

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
sparrowitis
606 Views, 7 Replies

Extend columns to curved roof

How do I extend steel UC columns to a curved roof?
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: sparrowitis

sparrowitis wrote: > How do I extend steel UC columns to a curved roof? Columns in Revit don't attach automatically to a roof above or a slab below like walls can. Don't know why, probably just haven't added that ability yet. Anyways, there are three ways to do it, first you can simply use the top offset on the columns to make each collum penetrate slightly into the curved ceiling, and then use the join geometry tool to have it clean up the edges (I think this works); or you can use little sections of walls instead of column families (but that won't give you a steel shape, just a square or circle); or you can model them as an in-place family, and make them any shape you want so that they perfectly join into the curved roof (but then they become hard to move around and such)... Jeffrey
Message 3 of 8
sparrowitis

Thanks Jeffrey. In the end I found the easiest way was to create levels "Column 1,2,3" etc and use the top offset, then hide the annotations in all the views (a bit time consuming - I wonder if there is a way to select them all at once?)
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous

> I wonder if there is a way to select them all at once?)< If you right-click a family type in the project browser you will see a "Select all occurrences" option. ;o) -- Regards, Paul Monsef ----------------------------- TSA | architects, pllc Production/CAD Manager 425.401.6828 x105 paulmonsef_NOSPAM_@tsaarchitects.com "sparrowitis" wrote in message news:31611922.1100732922306.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > Thanks Jeffrey. In the end I found the easiest way was to create levels > "Column 1,2,3" etc and use the top offset, then hide the annotations in > all the views (a bit time consuming - I wonder if there is a way to select > them all at once?)
Message 5 of 8
sparrowitis

Hmmm, but the "Column 1,2,3" etc levels which I want to hide are the same family as the levels Ground, Level 1 etc. which I want to show. How can it differentiate? Can I make 2 different families for the 2 types of levels?
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous

Oh, I misunderstood...Silly me... You can only hide them one at a time even if you select more then one level. Regards, Paul Monsef ----------------------------- TSA | architects, pllc Production/CAD Manager 425.401.6828 x105 paulmonsef_NOSPAM_@tsaarchitects.com "sparrowitis" wrote in message news:4250979.1100767402749.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Hmmm, but the "Column 1,2,3" etc levels which I want to hide are the same > family as the levels Ground, Level 1 etc. which I want to show. How can it > differentiate? Can I make 2 different families for the 2 types of levels?
Message 7 of 8
sparrowitis

It would be great if you could hide multiple annotations at once. I had to go through that routine 50 times when I created those dummy levels.
Message 8 of 8
Anonymous

sparrowitis wrote: > It would be great if you could hide multiple annotations at once. I had to go through that routine 50 times when I created those dummy levels. not to be mean, but that's why you don't create extra 'dummy' levels in the first place and instead use the offset for base/top features. In this case you chose the former, which is totally OK and all, but the more levels you add to your project the more you increase it's complexity. Levels are really ment for major project datums I feel, and I only create a new one when it's really really needed. This also really helps in the future when dealing with RCP's and sections and such... Jeffrey McGrew

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report