Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exporting to AutoCAD - wall lines deleting

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
revitus
2192 Views, 12 Replies

Exporting to AutoCAD - wall lines deleting

Hello.

When I export my floor plan views to .dwg 2007 format for the consultants who haven't yet made the Revit plunge, the wall lines are broken at all wall-based family objects (i.e. wall cabinets, chalkboards, etc.). If the structural consultant freezes the casework layer for example, the wall line is missing for the length of the wall-based family. Are there Revit settings to solve this problem? I read the Revit help topics for exporting and it stated that "If 2 lines overlap in the drawing, the thicker of the lines is retained" - but that's not happening in my file (walls have a cut lineweight of 5 and the wall cabinet line is based on object style that has a weight of 1).

I'd rather not have to set up consultant-specific views based on what I think they will need to show or hide, but for now that's the only workaround I see.

Can someone help?
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: revitus

I do that all the time. I create a duplicate view
and call it export and that is the view that gets exported to autocad and
what I send consultants. It beats having to open  the autocad file and
then make the needed changes/corrections.

style="BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
Hello.
When I export my floor plan views to .dwg 2007 format for the consultants who
haven't yet made the Revit plunge, the wall lines are broken at all wall-based
family objects (i.e. wall cabinets, chalkboards, etc.). If the structural
consultant freezes the casework layer for example, the wall line is missing
for the length of the wall-based family. Are there Revit settings to solve
this problem? I read the Revit help topics for exporting and it stated that
"If 2 lines overlap in the drawing, the thicker of the lines is retained" -
but that's not happening in my file (walls have a cut lineweight of 5 and the
wall cabinet line is based on object style that has a weight of 1). I'd rather
not have to set up consultant-specific views based on what I think they will
need to show or hide, but for now that's the only workaround I see. Can
someone help?
Message 3 of 13
revitus

I only want one consultant-specific view for each level for exporting (I realize I need a dedicated view for exporting). The problem is that the MEP consultant needs the casework shown for sink locations, but the structural consultant will turn it off, and site might need something entirely different. In AutoCAD on their end, the linework of the wall is omitted when they control layer visibility and turn the casework off for example. You haven't anwered my question on why Revit is exporting the wall based family line instead of deleting that one and exporting the entire wall line.

Any other thoughts out there?
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous

Sorry, I do not know why Revit export breaks the
lines but for the time it took to respond for me to  your message you could
have created a duplicate of the export view and turned off the casework and
exported a new file.

style="BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
I
only want one consultant-specific view for each level for exporting (I realize
I need a dedicated view for exporting). The problem is that the MEP consultant
needs the casework shown for sink locations, but the structural consultant
will turn it off, and site might need something entirely different. In AutoCAD
on their end, the linework of the wall is omitted when they control layer
visibility and turn the casework off for example. You haven't anwered my
question on why Revit is exporting the wall based family line instead of
deleting that one and exporting the entire wall line. Any other thoughts out
there?
Message 5 of 13
Scott_Womack

This issue has been there for several releases. The only real remedy is painful in and of itself. That is to open your families, and in plan, have the 3D geometry not show. Then use symbolic lines to represent the geometry in plan views. It is only portions of 3D objects that cut the "wall" lines. The symbolic lines do not seem to cut the wall lines.

Scott
Message 6 of 13
revitus

Scott - Thank you for the useful information. I do appreciate your time and knowledge. I guess it's just one more issue for Autodesk to rectify with future releases. I can understand the conflict of forcing Revit to choose (or rather the programmers) between 3D model geometry and a wall - but a wall-based family should be smart enough to know that the wall governs (in my opinion). Thanks again.
Message 7 of 13
lahey

I'm an AutoCAD Architecture user who is preparing to evaluate Revit Architecture for a possible switch so I have no idea how to answer your technical question. In fact, your question frightens the heck out of me because we would probably be switching over before our consultants do. That being said, you are absolutely right about exporting only one file for all of the consultants. They all need to get the same file or view with all of the information included. They need to review and understand the different building elements before freezing the layers or else they will get things wrong. If you were to turn off the casework for instance then it's your fault that they didn't understand the building elements and put the wall switches behind the cabinets.
I feel the same way about bid drawings. The contractors are looking at drawings online and not reviewing the entire set. It leads to problems because the don't understand the building as a whole. Everyone needs to see the entire package whether they are a consultant, contractor, or supplier.
I'll continue to follow this thread to see if you get a good answer.
Message 8 of 13
revitus

It was always my intention to only send out one .dwg file to all of the consultants. What I've done is created two Revit views for each level, and created view templates to regulate what objects show on each for consistency. Essentially, one breaks out the casework, specialty equipment, furniture and furniture systems. The other has all other building geometry on.

This allows all of the wall lines to export properly.

Then I open up the casework .dwg file in ACA and copy / paste to original coordinates in the actual background .dwg file and then save that before I send it out to the consultants. Then I can discard the casework .dwg file. It's not terrible, it's just tedious.
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous

Just curious, instead of merging two dwg files, why not
just export two duplicate view,s one that includes casework, specialty
equipment, furniture and furniture systems and the other that excludes them.
Once you pick an item, then select hide category, it is turned off in that view
only.

It
was always my intention to only send out one .dwg file to all of the
consultants. What I've done is created two Revit views for each level, and
created view templates to regulate what objects show on each for consistency.
Essentially, one breaks out the casework, specialty equipment, furniture and
furniture systems. The other has all other building geometry on. This allows
all of the wall lines to export properly. Then I open up the casework .dwg
file in ACA and copy / paste to original coordinates in the actual background
.dwg file and then save that before I send it out to the consultants. Then I
can discard the casework .dwg file. It's not terrible, it's just
tedious.
Message 10 of 13
edvinas.lr

Hello,

Is it solved in later versions like 2014 or 2015?

Many Thanks.

Ed

Message 11 of 13
kysely

I am so f****ing angry its 2022 and the same problem is still there.

Jan

Message 12 of 13
David_W_Koch
in reply to: kysely

@kysely 

What version are you using?  I am not certain when the toggle noted below was added, but it is definitely present in Revit 2018 and later.

Modify your DWG/DXF Export Setup.  On the General tab, in the Options area, there is a toggle labeled Preserve coincident lines.  I believe this is unchecked in the out-of-the-box settings.  Check it, and you should get a continuous Wall line along with any overlapping linework from adjacent elements.  It worked for me.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 13 of 13
kysely
in reply to: David_W_Koch

Thanks a lot David, I've totally missed that feature!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report