Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exporting Ceiling Grid to DWG Revit Arch 2012

21 REPLIES 21
Message 1 of 22
adam
3611 Views, 21 Replies

Exporting Ceiling Grid to DWG Revit Arch 2012

I did a search for this subject. People have asked the question but there was no answer.

Is there a setting to export the grid lines of ACT ceiling in a 3D view to DWG?

I don't know if there is because I can't even get the grid lines to show in a 3d view. Right now the view shows the ACT celiling as a simple geometric shape. I guess that is a pretty strong statement coming from a newb user. So I need your help!

21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22
LisaDrago
in reply to: adam

Yes - you can export ATC ceiling with their respective gridlines.

I have posted 2 views - one that is revit and the other what it looks like in AutoCAD.

This functionality has been there a long time.

LD

If this helped solve your issue - remember to 'accept as solution' to help other find answers!
You can't think AutoCAD and run Revit.
Email: LisaDragoEE@gmail.com
Message 3 of 22
adam
in reply to: LisaDrago

I am concerned with the grid and tiles in a 3d view. Not 2d.

Message 4 of 22
applem

Any more ideas or solutions about this? I haven't found a satisfactory one yet. It is an important issue with coordinating with engineering consultants - that they can see our ceiling grid locations and also have the correct ceiling heights in 3D.

I have heard of using sloped glazing to create a type of "ceiling grid". Or to use "pick lines" and draw lines over top of all the ceiling grid. Both of those options create a lot more work for the architecture team. Or, We could do 2D export showing the grid, and a 3D export showing the ceiling heights. That creates a lot more work for the MEP team linking in the files.

Has anyone come up with something clever to do here?

Message 5 of 22
LisaDrago

So how did you do this before using Revit? were you using another 3D program?

what software are the MEP using? AutoCAD MEP? how did they do this before?

Using the curtain wall to get in the ceiling lines would be your best bet.

But if they just need to know a ceiling height - can't an elevation give them that info? of a ceiling plan that has the ceciling heights listed? do they want the gridlines to place their ceiling mounted components?

help us understand the workflow and the final outcome you are looking for. It may be that Revit just can't do what exactly you want.

LD

If this helped solve your issue - remember to 'accept as solution' to help other find answers!
Message 6 of 22
adam

Follow up:

You CAN"T make the ceiling grid be apart of the 3D model. Which I understand now. The reason, my guess, each grid piece would need to have it's own family. Then the same for the tiles. (Get on that Armstrong!) Creating all of that extra modeling math... I don't think it's "Revits" intention to start modeling ceiling grid and individual tiles. I believe, they believe, modeling a hole in the ceiling geometry of where they would like lights and diffusers is efficient enough for MEP to place their equipment.

It turns out, the MEP trades only wanted a 2D of it. As a majority of them are still using AutoCAD. So I exported the reflected ceiling plan along with the 3D view. Everybody happy.

What do you think? Should Revit model each piece of a ACT ceiling? I don't see the benefit right now.

Message 7 of 22
ccollins

Interesting question.

I find it a bit amusing that we "accept" things like curtainwalls having 3D mullions and glass panels with real thickness and even properties of the glass; and we readily populate our models with them, which takes enormous computer resources.

But then on a simple ACT ceiling, we "accept" it being only a half-baked 3D representation.

Why is it "OK" to have fully modeled curtainwalls, but "Not OK" to have fully modeled ACT ceilings?

A Virtual Model should be just that--a true 3D representation of the real built project. 

We should "accept" real 3D ceilings with each grid and panel, just like we do curtainwalls, railings, stairs, and lots of other complex assemblies. I wonder why the programmers of Revit (prior to Autodesk's aquisition) chose NOT to make ceilings truly 3D?

cheers

Cliff B. Collins
Registered Architect/BIM Manager
Thalden Boyd Emery Architects
St. Louis, MO
Message 8 of 22
adam
in reply to: ccollins

I'm a flip-flopper! I'm with Cliff! 

This is why I brought up the question. I thought I just had a visibility setting turned off. I figured, like Cliff pointed out, why wouldn't it model the grid?

Modeling of the grid ACT & Drywall would be AWESOME! Don't forget the hanger wires.... 

Get on it Autodesk!

Message 9 of 22
LisaDrago

The though of over modeling comes to mind...

A curtainwall is something very specific and completely customizable. an ACT ceiling... pretty well set on size and everything else related to it. I do not see a reason to have all of the indivudal panels of a ceiling avaiable. 

If you want each indivudal panel... you could make each panel its own ceiling....

Again this is just my opnion...

LD

Message 10 of 22
ccollins

Lisa,

OK--then how about a "standard" railing? Yes, it's customizable--but in a simple egress stairway for instance, 99% of the time it will be "standard". So--why is it "OK" to model all of the posts, rails, and balusters? This is very resource intensive,

so the argument for "over modeling" comes to mind here as well. It's just odd to me that Ceilings get treated differently than

other systems like curtainwalls, railings, stairs, etc. These could also be "faked" with a more 2D representation, but for some reason they are not.

I'd vote for "real 3D ceilings"--just like "real 3D railings and curtainwalls."

Food for thought.

Cliff B. Collins
St. Louis, MO
Message 11 of 22
VWD-MLM

I feel Cliff's, as well as mine and others to boot, point and sometimes frustrations stem from that fact "that we ""CAN'T"" do it.  Not that we'd necessairly do it.........just have that option..........I know there are times when having 'that option' would have been great.  Just my 2c.

Michael L. Maloney
Virtual World Designs
VDC & BIM Model Design, Clash & Coordination
mike@VirtualWorldDesigns.com
BDSU 2015, 2016
Charlotte, NC ; Fort Mill, SC
Message 12 of 22
LisaDrago
in reply to: VWD-MLM

I certainly hear and appreciate your opinions... 

I guess I just don't see the value of piecing and parting a ceiling.

During construction - do they go by area - or how many ceiling tiles are shown?

Maybe I am a bit to practical for it.... But just because you can do something does not mean you should. 

I had a guy put in the 1/8" caulk joint on the windows in his model - his reasoning? Because he could.... But when he printed it looked horrible. There was no need for it - he could have just detailed it once and been done with it.Which would have saved time and money.

LD

Message 13 of 22
adam
in reply to: VWD-MLM

Good point Mike.

My concerns were brought up because eventually I am going to, eventually, coordinate this information. When it is ALL correctly modeled, tiles, grid, hangers, let's me sleep better. Then I know I can easily represent that information for BIM coordination,  the most important reason! Now a days...

Good discussion.

Message 14 of 22
LisaDrago

Yes - very good discussion...

I exported a model into navisworks and I was not able to 'see' the grid lines but the ceiling was there.

I have seen it in navisworks with a ceiling with a grid pattern... I will have to see if I can reproduce this.

LD

Message 15 of 22
ccollins

Lisa,

Again--then WHY is it "OK" to accept real 3D curtainwalls, railings, etc. but NOT ceilings?

Curtainwalls and railings can also be "faked" by drawing model lines (or even worse--detail lines). But we would never do that, because it's not "BIM".

So--yes, we CAN model all the balusters, posts and rails in a railing, and most Revit users do so--and simply accept that it's "OK" to do that.

But if someone suggests modeling a simple 2 x 4 ACT, why is that "NOT OK?" It's actually a lot LESS 3d geometry

than a railing or curtainwall, so "overmodeling" is not the answer............

cheers

Cliff B. Collins
St. Louis, MO
Message 16 of 22
VWD-MLM

@Lisa..............I whole heartedly agree..........."just because you can, doesn't mean you should".  My point being, there are times when doing some really "wild" Ceiling layouts when doing my Models for Coordination, that I have run across that need.  Not always......again Options.

And I too think modeling a caulk joint for an "Entire" Model is over the top.

Michael L. Maloney
Virtual World Designs
VDC & BIM Model Design, Clash & Coordination
mike@VirtualWorldDesigns.com
BDSU 2015, 2016
Charlotte, NC ; Fort Mill, SC
Message 17 of 22
LisaDrago

I do understand what you are saying - I guess I really don't have a sufficient 'why' not to have it. I think that would ultimately be up to the developers to say... 

So - Autodesk developers - what are your thoughts....

LD

Message 18 of 22
applem

So, I guess after all this discussion...it is not really possible.

We also do the workflow previously suggested, that we give MEP (autocad/magiccad) 2D and 3D dwg exports. They can xref the 2D dwg to get our room names, and to line up their diffusers with the grid. They can xref óur 3D dwg export to check heights of diffusers and available space for ductwork.

The current workflow requires us doing two exports, instead of one (not ideal but only a small hassle). But the workflow also requires the MEP consultant to manage two distinct xrefs, which I think would be a hassle.

From our end it is better than modelling a curtain wall or model lines to represent the ceiling grid, so I suppose we will stick with the two separate exports for now.

Message 19 of 22
adam
in reply to: applem

applem, both good points, and part of the reason for my question. There was a conversation during a BIM meeting and the qeustion was asked of me, "could I export that grid". The MEP tradesman had always been curious if it were possible.

Managing xref's equals another possiblity of inaccuracies....

One model to serve them all! <-- That sounds like a trademarkable tag line!

Message 20 of 22
Bernards_BIM

3D ACT grid models in Navisworks are very helpful.  A quick way I have found to create them is to export the Revit RCP to a dwg. file.  Open the dwg file in AutoCAD, explode the ACT grids, extrude the ACT grid lines the thickness of your ACT framing, and elevate the extruded lines to the ceiling height.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report