Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export to Family Types txt file

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
IMCornish
2206 Views, 5 Replies

Export to Family Types txt file

I have noticed that when you create a family and then use the export to 'Family Types' command to produce a 'txt' file, nested family parameters are not included in the resultant file.  The 'txt' file would then not work, or would it?

Can anyone shed some light on this.  I have produced a ' Generic Model'family which is dependant on nested 'Generic Families' and have three parameters relating to the nested families.  Whilst I have written my own family types 'txt' files I would have no idea to write the parameter value unless you can just duplicate what you would normally include as the value in the 'Family Types' dialog.

Would appreciate some feedback on this please.

Andrew Robertson
Chartered Architect
Robertson Partnership
Truro. UK
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: IMCornish

Are you referring to the Family Types parameters not being exported? Please refer to the solution in this other thread: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Revit-Architecture/Referencing-nested-family-types-in-a-catalogue/m-p/...

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 6
IMCornish
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Thanks Alfredo, I followed the link and see that I was on the right lines at least. Gave you a kudo there!

One other thing in relation to this.  I have a parameter called "Quoin Style Max<Generic Models>"  the '<Generic Models>' being added by Revit.  Do I repeat this parameter title in its entirety when editing the 'Catalog File' or can I omit the added post script?

Andrew Robertson
Chartered Architect
Robertson Partnership
Truro. UK
Message 4 of 6
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: IMCornish

The part that says "<Generic Models>" is actually not part of the name of the parameter. It's just information about the type of families that the Family Type parameter is looking for.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 5 of 6

Trying t export family types from a project im working on.. any reason / know how to fix this when it is grayed out? 

Mitchell Lewis
Message 6 of 6
ToanDN
in reply to: mitchellabellnepp

The original question asking how to export a Family Type catalog text file, which you need to open the family to do it.

If you want to you want to export all the families from your project to a library of families then use Save As > Library.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report