Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Existing walls ( NOT demolished) : changing the finish layer only.

19 REPLIES 19
SOLVED
Message 1 of 20
rlabib
3914 Views, 19 Replies

Existing walls ( NOT demolished) : changing the finish layer only.

Hi,

I'm working in an office building project, where we have existing building,s ome of existing the walls are going to be demolished and some are staying, siding finishing will be replaced by stucco, how do I demolish only the siding layer and replace it with stucco ?

Thanks in advance

19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
AJA14
in reply to: rlabib

Hi. 2 options:

A-

1- Create parts from the wall.

2- Make sure the original is part of the existing phase.

3- Demolish the part in the new construction.

4- Create a new wall (finish part) to be part of the new construction.

B-

1-Create a new phase between existing and new

2- Place the original in existing

3- Create one with the domlished part in the in-between phase

4- Create the new wall in the new construction

If you find a better method, please share.

If this solves your problem, please Accept As Solution.

Regards,

Ali Al-Hammoud
Structural Design Engineer
MZ & Partners Engineering Consultancy
Message 3 of 20
rlabib
in reply to: AJA14

I was trying your first option and when I try to demolish a part Revit won't let me select one individual part, Am I missing something?

Message 4 of 20
AJA14

Well I'm not really sure but let me just guess:

1- Make sure the original wall is set to the existing phase

2- Select wall and make parts

3- Select part you need to demolish, go to prop. uncheck phase demolished, choose new construction for phase demolished.

Regards.

Ali Al-Hammoud
Structural Design Engineer
MZ & Partners Engineering Consultancy
Message 5 of 20
rlabib

Ali,

Thanks a lot , the answer to my problem was number 3. after I selected the part that I want to demolish I had to uncheck phase demolished by orginal check box.

Rania

Message 6 of 20
nathan
in reply to: AJA14

Thank you for the information.  I was unaware that parts even existed.  I do have an issue, however.  I am trying to demo only the cladding, and then in new replace the cladding, as you suggested in A.  Yet, in the floor plan (new) the part (cladding) shows up in the new section and I have to draw the new wall over the existing.  The option of selecting create parts is grayed out...?  Any thoughts?  As well, I am replacing the windows and they will be placed over the infill.  Do you suggest making a wall opening through the new cladding?

Message 7 of 20
ToanDN
in reply to: nathan

@nathan wrote:

Thank you for the information.  I was unaware that parts even existed.  I do have an issue, however.  I am trying to demo only the cladding, and then in new replace the cladding, as you suggested in A.  Yet, in the floor plan (new) the part (cladding) shows up in the new section and I have to draw the new wall over the existing.  The option of selecting create parts is grayed out...?  Any thoughts?  As well, I am replacing the windows and they will be placed over the infill.  Do you suggest making a wall opening through the new cladding?

One wall can only create one set of Parts.  If you change a portion of the Parts to Demolished, you cannot make it New.  As such, I think create the wall layers as separate walls maybe a better option than Parts.

Message 8 of 20
nathan
in reply to: ToanDN

Perfect, and then use the wall opening in the new layer, as the window will only cut through the non-demolished part?

I have kind of done a hybrid.  I hear that microstation allows the wall cut depth from a window to be set by the user, so making separate walls for each layer in an assembly (to accomplish a re-cladding project) is not such an issue, as in Revit.  

Anyway, I made the part and then basically used graphic overrides to make it look demolished and then in the New view have a new pattern.  Not my fav way to do things, but it makes the drawing look right.

Thank you for your help and ideas!  this was my first time posting in a forum, and I did not expect a reply from a 5 year old thread.

CHEERS!

Message 9 of 20
ToanDN

You don't even need to add openings to cut the new wall layer. Join it to the existing wall and it is cut automatically the existing openings.
Message 10 of 20
nathan

I just tried that with success.  Yet, the problem seen with this approach is that the part (ext. cladding) shows up in elevation as demoed and not in the new elevation, as expected, however in plan the part does not seem to exist, at all.

you can not pick it, or see it.

Message 11 of 20
ToanDN

To clarify, are you using Parts or using actual Wall to draw the layer? If Parts, you have to set the View to Show Parts in order to see them.
Message 12 of 20
nathan

As well, when adding the new cladding and then joining it to the non-demolished part, the Demo view, then fails to show the demoed part...Back to graphic overrides...

Message 13 of 20
nathan

You might be on to something, there.  As stated earlier, i am new to this parts thing...I'll give it a go.

Message 14 of 20
nathan

Ok that worked for the floor plan issue.  Frustratingly enough you then have to use the linework tool to not show the line through the openings...weird.

Yet it still does not aid in the quirky visibility things arising in the elevation after joining the new wall cladding to the existing non demoed part.

Message 15 of 20
nathan

Are you saying that I can draw the new cladding as a part?

Message 16 of 20
ToanDN

@nathan wrote:

Are you saying that I can draw the new cladding as a part?

No you cannot.  You have to draw it as a wall.  Because of that, if I were you I would abandon Parts altogether.  Draw both the existing-to-be-demo and the new cladding as thin Walls under different Phases.

Message 17 of 20
nathan

I am drawing the new cladding as a wall.  how would I go about drawing it as a new part?

Message 18 of 20
nathan

Perfect.  Thank you for your discussion.  I felt like this parts thing was going to solve all the workarounds that are needed when only refinishing an interior or when re-cladding...Oh well.

Message 19 of 20
ToanDN

Parts is a powerful tool and it would work perfectly if you only need to demo the layer. But you need to go beyond that and add a new layer in so you hit its limitation.
Message 20 of 20
nathan

Well, I can see how it may be useful if you were needing to demo a divided part (bottom of cladding) and replace it with a new cladding (metal demo, stone new)...It may then save you from fully demo and making a stacked wall?   i just cannot foresee demoing a part of a wall assembly and not needing to replace it with something...Unless you had a superflous finish layer...?  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report