Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Edit Assembly - New Assembly

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
dbroad
2715 Views, 6 Replies

Edit Assembly - New Assembly

I have an assembly that I would like to place 3 times and then when I edit one of the instances, it would update the other 2 placements of the assembly.  But when I edit the copied assembly, it reports that a new assembly is created instead of updating the copies.  Is there a way around this behavior?  IOW, is there a way to modify an assembly to propagate the changes?

Architect, Registered NC, VA, SC, & GA.
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: dbroad

Each change in the assembly creates a new type. But all of them are being saved, and are always available under the Assembly division of the project browser, meaning that if you need to update all the assemblies to the newest revision, simply select the assemblies and, using the type selector, assign the latest type to all.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 7
dbroad
in reply to: dbroad

Thanks Alfred.  Guess that will do.  For the particular application I was trying to implement, it ended up that assemblies were not appropriate (e.g. for apartment units). I ended up using groups instead.

Architect, Registered NC, VA, SC, & GA.
Message 4 of 7
heterarch
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

This is what I have found as well...  However, I'm not terribly happy with it.  The functions available within the "assembly" format would be terribly useful without the added layer of complexity and organization required to use assemblies...  Besides the difficulty in editing an assembly with multiple instances (in my case, there would many instances of most assemblies, and most of our work would be utilizing assemblies, which becomes a real pain..), elements in assemblies don't schedule correctly outside of schedules, and vice versa, and of course, assembly views can not be places on non-assembly sheets, and vice versa...  So once something is made in to an assembly, its of little use for anything else outside of its own assembly, other than looking pretty... 

What's needed, I believe, is a simlar functionality for Families and Types - where views of a "virtual" instance of a Family Type can be created, that are dependent on and organized by, the individual Types.  These views would be able to be placed on any sheet, and of course, the Type they are referencing would inherently be available in all normal schedules...  Am I crazy, or isn't this a good idea?

Message 5 of 7
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: heterarch

I think each feature has a certain usage. The confusion starts when a feature is used for what is not supposed to be used, such as in the previous post, as you can see, the user was using assemblies to repeat items in typical floors. That's not the tool for that task.

Assemblies = 3d Details, illustrations of a design, with materials, schedules, and sheets.

Groups = things that usually go together, or typical arrangements of furniture, etc.. (Hotel rooms, for example)

Links = a whole floor that needs to be repeated, etc...

Links can contain anything. Groups are divided into model groups and detail groups. Assemblies cannot contain some categories such as curtain walls and others.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 6 of 7

Digging up an old post but I have just stumbled upon this very frustrating issue.

I have a hotel with 100 odd bedrooms with FCU's in each bedroom. I have created 7 different type of FCU arrangement including the ductwork, plenum, and grilles. I used assemblies as I wanted to use the create views feature that assembly has and groups dont to create detailed views of each assembly for fabrication. This worked create and the floor plans have the assemblies placed in each bedroom referencing the detailed sheet showing the 7 different types in 1:20 detail.

For once I was impressed with an OTB Revit feature.... you all know what is coming next!

So I needed to adjust the position of the FCU's to coordinate with access panels in the bathrooms below the FCU's. Each change creates a new type of assembly, why no option to update the original?

If I select all type 1 assemblies and change them to the new type 8 assembly all my grille references and fcu references will be changed and wrong. Not ideal.

I would have used groups but as I said groups does not have the ability to create views. These features are so similar why not have one feature that does both.

Message 7 of 7

What happens when this doesnt work? Every time I try to update the newly made assembly to match the assembly I have detailed, it just creates a new assembly.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report