Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drop-Down Menus in Shared Parameters

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
jakobwithak
3216 Views, 2 Replies

Drop-Down Menus in Shared Parameters

I am a student working on a research project exploring the integration of LEED criteria with BIM software, and I am exploring the use of both Revit and Excel to accomplish this task.  One major problem that I am running into though, is with Shared Parameters.

I have created a set of LEED-specific shared parameters in Revit.  These parameters are things like "Plumbing Fixture Family," "Plumbing Fixture Type," "Ventilation Zone," "Refrigerant Use," etc... basically different parameters that will inform an Excel spreadsheet containing formulas to calculate, ultimately, the total points awarded for each LEED credit.

My problem, is that in Excel, the names of the values for these shared parameters need to be very specific in order for it to work with the formulas I have created.  What I need from Revit is the ability to create a shared parameter with a drop-down menu containing a set number of options that can be applied to any component in a project, so this can be done early-on in Revit, rather than after-the-fact in Excel.  Such as choosing the type of refrigerant used in HVAC&R equipment (and yes, you could just type the refrigerant type into a text parameter field, but if it's not typed exactly as it is in the pre-determined formula it is associated with in Excel, it will return an error in Excel, which is less than desirable - a drop down would reduce/eliminate the margin of error).

Is there any way to accomplish this task?  From what I have found online, this is only slightly possible in Family Parameters - I haven't found anything about Shared Parameters...any ideas?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

It is not possible to have a list of values in the family editor, in the properties of a family. The only drop-down possible is the list of a family type parameter, which will display a list of all the families and types that match the category for which this family type parameter was created.

In the project environment, for schedules, the only other kind of drop down list is a key schedule. But shared parameters cannot be added to key schedules.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: jakobwithak

jakobwithak,

I am also interested in creating a LEED overlay for Revit as well,  have you made it any further since your last post?

I had some ideas to help with the naming issue you have encountered,  I would think excell suports minor programming code by now,  you many be able to catch the names even if they are not exact. 

for every name in the excell formula , you might be able to list alternatives that would also be acceptable, or partial matches.

ie.  if Refrigerant =  HPX-45823,   or if Refirgerant = HPX45823,   or if any part of the refrigerant parameter includes 45823, etc...  Just figure on how they might enter acceptable items, and cover numerous scenerios.

Again,  I havn't done a lot with excell in some time, but I would think this is possible.  If not, you may need a small program that compares the Revit LEED output to you acceptable list of names, and find partial matches that way, then have the program export an edited list that will work with your excell sheet.  a little data filter routine.

Even if your not a programmer, this could be written in C with just a little time and research.

T.S.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report