Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Door tag with size label (ie, 3070)

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
mikeleinback
11569 Views, 14 Replies

Door tag with size label (ie, 3070)

Spoiler
I want to create a door tag that lists the door size in ft-inches (ie, "3070"). I am hoping to utilize a label within the tag that ties to the door size excluding ft(') and inch (") markers and the hyphen between the ft and inches.  I know that I can add a description or comment within each door type, but would hope to avoid potential keying errors that such an approach invites.  I would also hope that the tag could be insert to read parallel to the leaf of the door.  Any ideas?
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
David_W_Koch
in reply to: mikeleinback

You are going to need to add several parameters to your Door Families.  In order to be able to include the results in a Door Tag, you will need to make these shared parameters (at the least, the "end result" parameters that will appear in the Tag will need to be shared parameters).

Here is an example for getting the feet number and inches number for the door width.  You will need a similar set for the door height.  These formulas assume that you are using the out-of-the-box Width and Height parameters for the Door opening width and height you wish to report in the tag.  If you are using some other, custom parameters, then you will need to substitute those.  It also assumes that all of your door opening sizes do not have any fractional inches, as any fractional amount will be dropped.

First, you will need a parameter that converts the Width parameter to a real number, without any units.  Create a WidthReal parameter, with Type of Parameter set to Number, then assign this formula to the new parameter:

= Width/1'

Dividing the Width parameter by one foot leaves the numeric value as feet, but removed the units.  For example, if Width = 2'-6", then WidthReal = 2.5.

Now you need to isolate the whole feet value.  Create a new WidthFeet parameter, with Type of Parameter set to Integer, then assign this formula to the new parameter:

= rounddown(WidthReal)

The rounddown function rounds the real number value of WidthReal to the next lowest integer value, truncating any fractional amount.  For example, if WidthReal = 2.5, then WidthFeet = 2 (and, if WidthReal = 3.0, WidthFeet = 3).

Finally, you need to get the whole inch value.  Create a new WidthInches parameter, with Type of Parameter set to Integer, then assign this formula to the new parameter:

= rounddown((12 * (WidthReal - WidthFeet))

Subtracting WidthFeet from WidthReal leaves just the fractional foot value of the Door width.  Multiplying that value by 12 converts the value to inches (without any actual units attached) and the rounddown assures that any fractional amount is truncated and will not result in unwanted rounding up.  For example, if WidthReal = 2.5, then WidthInches = 6.

After doing the same for the Height value, you can create a Door Tag with one or more Labels that report the door size as you desire.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Tags (1)
Message 3 of 15
David_W_Koch
in reply to: David_W_Koch

Here is a sample project file and sample Door Tag family that have the requested imperial "residential" format, based on what I outlined in my post above.  The Door Tag has two types:  one in which all four parameters appear in one Label, without spaces or other text between, and one that uses separate labels for each parameter, with the inches parameters having a shorter height and set as a superscript, to enhance the readability.

Note that the project file has been purged rather severly, to get the file down to a size that can be posted.

David Koch
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 4 of 15
David_W_Koch

I forgot to include my Shared Parameters file in the ZIP file in the previous post.  Here it is, should it be of any value.  Most likely, you will want to create your own, and add them to your own Shared Parameters file.

David Koch
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 5 of 15
David_W_Koch

More detailed instructions on how to create the parameters and formulas, as well as how to create the single-label Door Tag, can be found in this blog article.

David Koch
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 6 of 15
mikeleinback

David,

Thank you so much for addressing this matter. I look forward to digging
deeper into your solution.

J. Michael Leinback, AIA
Message 7 of 15
namurell

David - I applied this formula to great effect, much thanks for your post.  However, This does not work with curtainwall doors, as they have no implicit width or height, simply taking on the dimensions of the panel they are inserted into.  I have tried to create a width and height parameter into these families to give your method something to generate upon, but without success.  Any suggestions on how to acomplish this?

Message 8 of 15
David_W_Koch
in reply to: namurell

1.  Edit your Curtain Wall Door Family.

2.  Open the Views > Floor Plans > Base Line view.  There should be reference planes defining the width of the door.

3.  If there is no dimension between these two reference planes, add one.  (In the out-of-the-box Curtain Wall Sgl Glass.rfa family, there was not an overall dimension between these, your family may have one.)

4.  Select the dimension, and on the Options bar, choose the label drop-down and select the Add Parameter option.

5.  In the Parameter Properties dialog, give the new parameter a name.  (I chose to call this DoorWidthReporting, you may prefer a shorter name.)

6.  For the new parameter choose a group (I accepted the default Dimensions group), choose the Instance radio button and check the Reporting Parameter toggle.  This will make the parameter available for scheduling and formulas.

7.  Open the Views > Elevations > Interior view (Exterior will also work).  There should be a Base Line level and a reference plane defining the height of the door.

8.  If there is no dimension between the leve and the top reference plane, add one.  (In the out-of-the-box Curtain Wall Sgl Glass.rfa family, there was an overall dimension between these.)

9.  Select the dimension, and follow the procedure used for the width parameter above to create a reporting parameter for the height dimension.  I called mine DoorHeightReporting.

10.  You now have two instance parameters that will have the height and width of the Curtain Wall Door when placed in a Curtain Wall in a project.  You now need to add the parameters from my previous post to generate the parameters for the residential-style tag.  For Curtain Wall Doors, you will need to make all of these paramters instance-based, so that they will be able to reference the instance-based reporting parameters for width and height.  Use the same Shared Parameters from the same Shared Parameter file as you use for your other Doors if you intend to use the same tag.

The attached image shows the parameters attached to a Curtain Wall Door family, with the reporting parameters under the Dimensions category and the parameters that generate the integer feet and inches values for the tag under the Data category.

David Koch
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 9 of 15
debner

This is amazing.

Message 10 of 15
jillcontest

Wonderful!  Thanks so much for the detailed instructions.    I used the same method for a window tag also.

How can I get the tag to also pull the door type from the family?  I tried to put in a shared text parameter in the door type, no luck.  Also tried adding type to existing parameters (such as operation or construction) but that did not work either.    With both attempts I just got a question mark after the door size.

I don't mind adding the info to each kind of door family (Slider, DH, Cased Opening, etc.).    The final result I would like to see is the door size followed by the type.    Ex    3068 CO or 3068 SLIDER.

Suggestions?     

Thanks in advance,

JK

Message 11 of 15
David_W_Koch
in reply to: jillcontest

If you are using a single label to show the "3070" door size format and you have a shared parameter set up to hold your door type text, you can edit that label and add it at the end.  You may want to put in a prefix that has a space character or two to separate the door type text from the size.

If you are using the "four label" type to have the inches as smaller, superscripted text, you will need to add a fifth label to display the value in the door type shared parameter.  If you used the tag I posted previously as the basis for your tag, and kept both the single label and four label types, then you will want to control the visibility of the fifth label with the "Four Labels" yes/no parameter.

David Koch
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 12 of 15

David,

I am getting a conflict every time i try to load a modified door with shared parameters.

The conflict is between one of the parameters WidthFeet type integer in the shared parameters and WidthFeet in the existing .rvt file as length type.

I could not get this to work on some of the doors not all of them.

What am I doing wrong? How can i tell where is the type length WidthFeet?

Message 13 of 15

If your project files already have the WidthFeet shared parameter that is has been assigned a type of length, then that will cause a conflict with the one in the Door family.  I  cannot test this at the moment, but I would think that it would have to have been added from the same shared parameter source for Revit to consider both to be the same (name alone should not be enough).  If the parameter in the project was not erroneously added to the project (or the template from which the project was created), you may need to create a separate parameter for use in the Door Tags.

David Koch
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 14 of 15
vpierre1020

Thank you so much for the detailed explanation. Is there a way to have the tag aligned with the door panel angle, at a 45 degree angle? 

Thank you for the help.

Message 15 of 15
infoLDGZR

How do I get the "WidthReal" parameter to not show up in my label? And if it doesn't need to be a shared parameter, what type should it be? 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report