Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Door Families to cut over more than one wall

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
21840 Views, 10 Replies

Door Families to cut over more than one wall

Hi,

Can I create a family of doors to be instantiated cut over more than one wall?

I'm using three walls to represent the coating and core wall and realized that to instantiate a door, only one wall is cut.

I tried to change the default template to create families of the door, but I'm not getting success.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks,
Ari Monteiro
Dharma Systemas

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
mbuonocore
in reply to: Anonymous

I read somewhere to join the walls first then the door should cut all the walls.  I haven't tried it.

Message 3 of 11
ryan.duell

You would need to join geometry between the neighboring walls to allow the opening to be automatically cut.  You could use a similar approach as in the post below, #9:
Otherwise you would need to manually add wall openings to cut the other 2 walls at the door opening.
Thank you,

You would need to join geometry between the neighboring walls to allow the opening to be automatically cut.  You could use a similar approach as in the post below, #9:

http://revitclinic.typepad.com/my_weblog/2009/08/10-wall-tips.html

Otherwise you would need to manually add wall openings to cut the other 2 walls at the door opening.

Thank you,

Ryan Duell
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: ryan.duell

Just used your advice. Thanks!
Message 5 of 11
David8a

What if one of the walls belongs to a linked model (structural), does joining geometry work?

Message 6 of 11
David_W_Koch
in reply to: David8a

Welcome to the Discussion Groups!

You cannot join objects in one model with objects in a linked model.  Nor can you host a Door in one model on a Wall in a linked model.

You will need to add one or more openings to the Walls in the linked model, and manually coordinate the location of same with the door in the other model.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 7 of 11
David8a
in reply to: David_W_Koch

Thats our current method.

Something more to ask for Christmas to Santa.

Thanks David.

Message 8 of 11
edgleydesign
in reply to: David8a

Hi there,

it works well for me, until I use an in place wall.  The door won't cut through the in-place wall, even if I join the geometry to the host wall.  Same applies vice-versa if the in-place wall is the host.

Anyone got a solution for that?  I know I can create another opening in the in-place wall, but it is extra work and would be nice if it behaved in the same way.

Message 9 of 11
ToanDN
in reply to: edgleydesign

In-place walls do not have Exterior and Interior side properties among others. Those are necessary for the opening cut to understand how far to cut through. You can reverse engineer a door family to see it.

One simple solution is cut the in-place wall using void that matches the door opening but i think you already know that. Another is add a void to the door family itself if you have a lot of in-place walls. I personally have never tried it so I am not qualified to assess further consequences it may cause.
Message 10 of 11
dfluegeman
in reply to: ryan.duell

I have a slightly different variation of this problem, as the attached PDFs show.

I have created a door family which incorporates the HM frame profile.  The jamb depth of the frame is controlled by the thickness of the wall; therefore, the door is fixed to the centerline of the wall.  As you can see, the door family only finds the centerline of one of the joined walls, NOT the composite centerline (i.e., the centerline of the overall wall thickness).  Any way to make the combined wall fit completely inside the throat of the HM frame?  I don't want to resort to linework, due to the sheer number of doors I would have to do that to.

Any insight you could provide would be welcome.  Thanks!

Message 11 of 11
ToanDN
in reply to: dfluegeman

@dfluegeman

You need a door family with adjustable throat width so that you can stretch one or both sides to match the combined walls thickness.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report