Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Display Issues when Linking Buildings to the Site

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
bhpka
243 Views, 3 Replies

Display Issues when Linking Buildings to the Site

Hi,

I'm working on my first Revit project and have a frustrating issue...(not covered in class)

I am doing a small detached addition to a church.

I seperated the project files into SITE, EXISTING BUILDING, and NEW BUILDING files.

When I link the SITE and EXISTING into the NEW BUILDING I get all kinds of strange display issues.

Lines don't show up on the SITE, display controls are grayed out, site plan doesn't show up in the floor plan...

If I screw with the VG enough to get the Graphic Display Options to work when I change to shaded or colored  everything doesn't shade......

This seems to be a basic function of REVIT and I can't believe it is this difficult....

Can someone explain or give me a link to the correct procedure for linking??

Should I have just modeled everything in one project, then how would I distinguish between old and new elements??

Thanks,

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: bhpka

Well, if you´re trying to work with phases, you are using a workflow that is not the way phases work in Revit. You don´t create one model for existing, and another one for new construction, and then overlap them with links. There is a Phases feature that can handle all this within the same model. Please refer to the Phases topic in Wiki-help.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 4
bhpka

So I sould have done the whole thing in one big file.....

My intention was to minimize the file size.

The addition is an seperate building that is connected by a walkway..

can you advise the best way to insert the seperate components (insert the links)

Should I insert the buildings into the site or does it matter???

THanks

Message 4 of 4
damo3

I would suggest the following files for what you describe: 

Site Model wCovered Ways

Building Model 1

Building Model 2

Use phasing as the previous post suggested

Link your Buildings into the site plans if you are using shared coordinates

Link your site plan into your building models. 

Determine which model, will contain your site plan sheets.

In visibility graphics, Revit links > Display Settings, I set the 'By Linked View' option to control what I am seeing in each view. Also helps with phasing.

Hope it helps.   

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report