Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dimensioning vertical wall reveals

19 REPLIES 19
Message 1 of 20
StevenMcGann
4765 Views, 19 Replies

Dimensioning vertical wall reveals

I am using vertical wall reveals for joints in concrete tilt-up panels. They work just fine until I need to dimensions to their centerlines. I tried using two 'half joints', but as soon as I align them I lose the option to snap to the side of the reveal in the center of the joint. The attached image shows both attempts. Is there a way to get this to work?
19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20

>The attached image shows both attempts. Is there a way to get this to work?
No image was included, though.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 20
cbcarch
in reply to: StevenMcGann

Try opening the reveal profile family, and see if there is a reference plane or reference line at the "centerline" location
that you are trying to dimension in the project. If not, place one, save, and load into the project.

Just a thought....
Cliff B. Collins
Registered Architect The Lamar Johnson Collaborative Architects-St. Louis, MO
Message 4 of 20
StevenMcGann

Yes, there is. Dimensioning does not recognize that or other reverence planes in the family. Moving/aligning the reveal i can sometimes snap to the 'center' line in the half-reveal but not always.
Message 5 of 20
StevenMcGann

Let me try that again...
Message 6 of 20

Check how you are trying to dimension these objects. Are you using Aligned Dimension, or Linear dimension?, what is the current preference set to: center lines, faces?

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 7 of 20

If your profile you're using has a reference plan set to "weak reference", located at the CENTER of the reveal profile, then you can dimension to it with the tab key when placing dimensions.

So, I'd open the profile family you're using for your reveal and add that weak reference plane at the center of it.
Message 8 of 20
StevenMcGann

I added a weak reference plane in the center of the reveal profile (in addition to the center front/back reference plane that was already there), and still cannot dimension to it. I have tried linear and aligned dimensioning, with all the various snap settings available. I even tried slicing the wall and placing a half reveal on each side of the slice. Still nothing. Tabbing cycles through the various points/faces of the wall where the reveal has cut it, but never to the center of the reveal.
Message 9 of 20

Switch to the elevation you can see the reveal in and draw a reference plane from the midpoint of the reveal (SM snap/tab), then dimension to the reference plane...that should work fine. Should you want to move the reveal, you might want to dim equal the location of it in relation to the edges of the reveal and lock those...then you can dimension to any grid or other geometry from the reference plane that splits the reveal in two.

See picture.
Message 10 of 20
StevenMcGann

Switching to elevation does give me more control over the snapping. It allows me to always snap to the center edge of the half-joint reveal, where in plan that option would sometimes disappear. I am still unable to snap to the center of the full joint, I'm guessing since it cuts all the way through the wall there is no geometry there to snap to. My previous workaround was to align/lock the two half-reveals to a RP and dimension to the RP - similar to the EQing method you propose. That's a pretty cumbersome method for something that seems like it should be a standard function. Is there just no way to get Revit to snap to the center of a vertical reveal?
Message 11 of 20

Steven,
What I did was to select the reveal's control and drop it down some into the wall, so that it terminated below the top of the wall (grap the blue circular control point). Then you can place a vertical reference plane snapping to the middle of that profile in the reveal. You could then use the dim-equal trick to lock the plane into the exact center of the reveal and so it will stay put if the reveal is moved! Now you can reselect the reveal grip and drag it up as far as you want to the top of the wall (or beyond). You now have a reference plane that you can dimension to which will always align at the center of your reveal.
Message 12 of 20

Hi, I have similar problem with the reveals. I have added reference planes at every line change and at the reveal depth. I can dimension the reveal in elevation view, but in detail level (section) I can only dimension the reveal depth.

I am attaching screen shots of the reveal that I am working on and what I want it to look like.

Message 13 of 20
l.smithPXEUL

SO ... I see this is an older topic...but did not find a current solution.

I was having same issue trying to dimension to centerline of a wall reveal.

Center ref plan is not recognized...so I broke the end line of my profile and very slightly angled the two pieces to create a point that will show as a vertical line in the center of the reveal. I override the reveal lines to 1 so only the wall cutlines are bold. I would prefer if the centerline worked but this means not having to place a bunch of reference line/plans just to dimension the reveals.

Message 14 of 20
ToanDN
in reply to: l.smithPXEUL

Just incase you don't want to see the line in the center of a reveal, you could place two-half reveals and you would be able to dimension to center.

ToanDN_0-1629232785749.png

Message 15 of 20
David_Knight
in reply to: ToanDN

Alternatively you can create a family for the reveal, and include a annotative/model line in it, and a void to cut the shape.

Message 16 of 20
e.lovell

Not a single one of the solutions actually worked. Has anyone figured out a way to do this or is it just left as a workaround for now?

Message 17 of 20
CorstenGroup
in reply to: e.lovell

Let me reply from my other username.

Message 18 of 20
Corsten.Au
in reply to: e.lovell

Hello

The way I approached this issue is to simply get rid of the "inbuilt Revit - Wall Reveals" which are not helping in dimensioning.

Create a new generic family, with void, probably level to level, and use that to cut the wall and show them as reveals.

Easy to place Center reference lines, and dimensions would pick that up as "Center line".

Am attaching images / screenshot and Revit (version 2022 ) file for reference.

Cheers.

Loadable Void, Reveal family to help dimension it properly ( picking centerline )Loadable Void, Reveal family to help dimension it properly ( picking centerline )

Corsten
Building Designer
Message 19 of 20
adelbosque2234
in reply to: Corsten.Au

This has been an issue for years and Revit still hasn't fixed it. Amazing.

Message 20 of 20
ToanDN
in reply to: adelbosque2234

@adelbosque2234 wrote:

This has been an issue for years and Revit still hasn't fixed it. Amazing.

What issue again?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report