Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dimensioning problems with stud walls

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
angelica.rodriguez
1688 Views, 5 Replies

Dimensioning problems with stud walls

Hello there

This is a very complicated thing to explain, but I'll have a go here.

I am having problems dimensioning internal walls with Revit 2013. Horizontally I have no issues, but when trying to dimension vertically from anywhere to the face of the core of a stud wall.

Basically what is happening is that Revit won't recognise the core of a wall from its smallest side (wraps at ends). 

Please have a look to the attached file, For example, if I have a 63mm stud wall with a 15mm layer of plasterboard finish to either side, I will be able to put dimensions alongside the faces of the core in the long side of the wall, but I can't locate a dimension showing the 870mm lenght because the face of the ends of the wall won't be recognised by the dimension command.

Any ideas / solutions? 

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

@angelica.rodriguez wrote:

This is a very complicated thing to explain, but I'll have a go here.

Any ideas / solutions? 

http://screencast.com/t/RW910QhM

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 6
CoreyDaun
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

I believe that Angelica is referring to dimensioning the faces as per this image. They don't seem to be selectable as valid faces for a Dimension.

DimensioningModified.jpg

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 4 of 6
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Oh, sorry. Yes, for that, the only solution I think, is a locked reference plane, then dimension to the ref. plane to another ref. plane on the other side. Different video. 🙂

http://screencast.com/t/v45V6Pmcoak

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 5 of 6

That's very good, thank you very much for that Alfredo. Here in the office we were drawing model lines and dimensioning to them, but if our wall moved or changed the dimension wouldn't change.

Thank you very much for your help.

Message 6 of 6

The solution is actually in the wall construction, I believe. Go to Edit Assembly and be sure your default wrapping settings are set to allow wrapping of the wall ends with drywall. This way, the dimension recognizes there is a face there. By default, there is no drywall wrapping that end.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report