Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Detail Cuts in a Revit Model

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
sbrusco
2800 Views, 6 Replies

Detail Cuts in a Revit Model

Hi All,

This is another question on just how much detail is feasible in a building model without bogging down the computer processes. My company manufactures Architectural panels for the exterior faces of buildings. We're moving into the wild and wonderful world of 3D and as we develop Revit families for our products, we question just how much detail we should build into them. We know about the level of detail (fine, coarse...) but i'm talking about more than that. 

Years ago it was suggested to me that we keep the model as simple as can be while still including as much information necessary to address interferences and such. Then i was told to let Revit cut the section/detail and to superimpose a 2D drawing to impart the details that were not included in the model.

Does this make sense and is this a viable way to proceed or should we put all the detail in the model?

All other suggestions are appreciated.

TIA,

Sal

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
BIMologist_
in reply to: sbrusco

I like the idea of keeping 3D modeled item to minimal, unless it is crucial. The ideal is to use the 2D details (not DWG files please, but converted to Revit lines) for items that are 1/4 scale or above visibility. all the nitty gritty stuff is 2D details at Fine level.

BIMologist / Dr. Revit
Autodesk Expert Elite Member
Approved Autodesk Services Marketplace provider - BIM Consulting

If you find this reply helpful, please use the Accept Solution or Like button below
Message 3 of 7
PaulMunford

I think that you need to consider the requirements of your models & drawings, and then work back to which tools to use.

I think of BIM as a specification and coordination tool. The information you put into a Revit model is the information you need to schedule out, or the information that needs to be coordinated with the other consultants, or the other trades on site.

Revit is not intended to be a manufacturing tool. If you are tempted to put manufacturing information into your Revit model it will definitly be too 'Heavy'.

It may be that your soloution isn't within one CAD product. E.g. You might use Revit for coordination the panelling design and scheduling of panel sizes and then use AutoCAD or Inventor for manufacturing documentation.

Bimstore has some good guidance documents:

https://www.bimstore.co.uk/news/bimstore-bible-standards

Autodesk Industry Marketing Manager UK D&M
Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my company.
Linkedin Twitter Instagram Facebook Pinterest

Message 4 of 7
rosskirby

You're on the right path.  Model the basic geometry of your wall panel and parametricize it (length, width, depth, material, etc.).  Then create separate detail component families and nest them into the appropriate wall panel family view (i.e. section detail in either left or right view, plan detail in plan view, etc.) and then hide the modeled geometry (if necessary).

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 5 of 7
sbrusco
in reply to: BIMologist_

Hi Nauman,

Thanks for your input to this nubee.

Can you please be more specific about "not DWG files please, but converted to Revit lines"? Is this as simple as importing an DWG file and saving as "Revit lines"?

Thanks again.

Sal

Message 6 of 7
sbrusco
in reply to: rosskirby

Thanks Ross,

This is what i had in mind. Now to the task of explaining it to the higher-ups who, for their own safety, do not even have CAD on their computers.

Sal

Message 7 of 7
BIMologist_

1) Converting a AutoCAD block into Revit linework a) Start two families using Template one Permanent and one Temporary. Save the real one using the SpecNumber Convention) b) Insert –>Import CAD. And import your block Origin to Origin c) Explode the Block d) Delete un-needed linework e) Select Needed Linework and Change the Subcategory to the appropriate family category, or heavy medium thin. (I would stick with the standard names of heavy wide thin medium to be compatible with all users. avoid custom line types e1) Convert hatches to Filled Regions . f) Copy to Clipboard g) Switch to your permanent family , Switch to Floor Plan Ref Level and Paste ->Aligned to Current View. Save -> Load to your project and place. I use the sanitizing temporary family to avoid purging out etc. deleting unnecessary object styles . otherwise all the AutoCAD layers show up in Imports in Family

BIMologist / Dr. Revit
Approved Autodesk Services Marketplace provider - BIM Consulting

If you find this reply helpful, please use the Accept Solution or Like button below

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report