Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Desk.rfa Question.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
dbroad
487 Views, 9 Replies

Desk.rfa Question.

The out of the box desk family in the furniture folder shows a 3d view with the drawers on the front face but when viewing the desk in the front view, the drawers and their handles hide when hidden line is activated.  The back view shows the drawers when hidden. 

Since there are no elevation keys in the plan view, is this a mistaken naming of the front and back view or is it a strange behavior?  Can anyone explain?

Architect, Registered NC, VA, SC, & GA.
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
vector2
in reply to: dbroad

Place the desk in plan view, look at it in 3D view and see the 

handles, look at it in south elevation hidden line view and also

see the handles. What is the problem?

Message 3 of 10
dbroad
in reply to: vector2

I am trying to understand.  The desk built-into the standard project template is drawers north-up when placed. Component loading from furniture ->desk.rfa reverses this to a drawers face south form. 

when opening the desk.rfa project, the 3d view correctly shows the drawer face in the front.  When I switch to the front view in my desk.rfa and switch to a hidden line view, it hides the drawers.  The same desk, when placed in a project, works fine when viewed from the south. The expected front is correct.  Left and right views appear correct in the family file.  My problem is with why the drawers don't show in the family front view when that view is hidden.

Context:  2012 Revit Architecture (Part of Design Suite).

Message 4 of 10
vector2

Please attach some images of this problem. Also

include more information about the problem than

you think anyone would ever need to understand

it.

Message 5 of 10
dbroad

I don't know how better to explain it.  It is a an out-of-the-box Revit family that doesn't behave as expected.

See video:

http://screencast.com/t/vfy5aXiGDH

Message 6 of 10
loboarch

In this particular family the labels for the front and back on the view cube are reversed from the view labels in the project browser.

Probably happened when the view cube navigation was added to Revit.  The cube got set to someones idea of what the front and back of the desk was and did not realize that diod not match the geometry of the family.

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 7 of 10
Alfredo_Medina

Jeff, and what is the reason for the "back" elevation giving the "front' view, and viceversa, in the conceptual design environment?

For example: start a family with the generic model template, which is the default family editor. Here, "Front" is what one expects to be "Front". But now start a family with the generic adaptive template. Here, "Front" gives us the back view, and "Back" gives us what we would think is the front view. I don't understand the reason for the lack of consistency in regards to these views in the two environments.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 8 of 10
vector2
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

@Alfredo_Medina wrote:

I don't understand the reason

And I don't understand this either:

Open the desk rfa and the back is the front, open the

dresser and the front is the front.

Could only be they created the desk backwards.

How many others are backwards?

Message 9 of 10
loboarch
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

I am not exactly sure what happened.  For a standard family the elevations and names are detirmined by the reference plane placed in the template.  The horizontal plane on the screen when you first open the temaplate/family represents the front/back direction.  Bottom of the screen is the "front" and the top of the screen is the "back".  This is not so straight forward in the conceptual design environment since you begin work in a 3d environment where 2 planes might be considered the "front" depending on how you model things.

In the end thy are just names in the project browser.  You can rename them to match the view cube orientation if you wish.  Of course that might start confusing you when it comes to controling visibility from different directions.  😞

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 10 of 10
dbroad

An odd thing is that the desk in the default project is exactly reversed from the one in the family.  But even though the labels in the family are mixed up, they seem to work well when loaded into a project.  Front is facing south rather than north (at least that makes sense to me).  When in the project front view, the desk displays correctly in hidden line view.

Thanks for your post Jeff.  I won't worry about it anymore.  I am in the process of learning how to use the family editor and was doing research on all the OOTB Revit families.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report