Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleting Revit files

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
california91367
792 Views, 3 Replies

Deleting Revit files

I have one of the Revit Demonstration programs. Works terrific for school. I have noticed a few Revit files that I would like to delete. The laptop seems to get tied up whenever I try to delete them. It has gone overnight without any success. I would like to ask the Community about what I can do to rid myself of these files. They are files and backup files.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Ben_Wood
in reply to: california91367

I am sorry that you are having this problem. I have suffered through it on several occasions.  one the reasons that you cannot delete the files is that the properties of the file has changed from what the file system says it is.  you might try running Disk check on your drive and have it automatically fix the errors.  this will allow those types of files to be deleted once the filing system has changed the propeties.  

I have downloaded families from the internet in an earlier version of revit and they come up corrupt.  What allowed me to erase some of them was to install the latest version of Revit.  I am not sure why this had an effect on the stuck files but it did.

Message 3 of 4

I presume you are using vista on your laptop.

I have had a similar problem on my PC with vista.  It has something to do with the way vista handles Thumbnails images.

If you go to 'Folder Options' through your start menu, and on views tab uncheck the ones relating to thumbnails (Display thumbnail on file icon..  or something similar).

Either log back on or restart your machine, and you should be able to delete the file.

You can recheck the setting afterwards if you like.

Hope this helps.

K

Message 4 of 4
bt1138
in reply to: california91367

You might look at using one of the many delete after re-boot utilities. 

When I've had these stuck revit files, that's the easy/only way to kill them.

Google 'boot delete'. Or try this one:

http://software.bootblock.co.uk/?id=bootdeleter

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report