Revit Architecture

*Expert Elite*
Alfredo_Medina
Message 11 of 13 (392 Views)

Re: Default Family Parameters - can we edit them?

10-16-2012 09:36 PM in reply to: aesdaile.w

If I understand correctly, you used to have a template of the Casework category, made in a previous version of Revit, which you had been able to edit to remove the Finish parameter. What happens when you open the same old template in 2013?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Planta1 Revit Online Consulting | info@planta1.com | my Twitter | The Planta1 Blog
Contributor
Message 12 of 13 (387 Views)

10-16-2012 11:47 PM in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Open old template in 2013 - The 'Finish' parameter is automatically created as a TEXT parameter.

Any EXISITING parameter named 'Finish' (INCLUDING Shared Parameters!) is automatically RENAMED to 'FINISH1'. Of course this breaks Shared Parameters and mayhem ensues.

Any attempt to insert a FAMILY created in previous versions with the 'Finish' parameter removed results in the 'Finish' Parameter being added.

Any attempt to insert a FAMILY with an existing parameter called 'Finish' that is NOT a TEXT field results in a failed insert - 'Cannot create parameter - load cancelled' or error message to that effect.

I have since unpacked the RTF/RFA format to see if the structure was something simple like XML that I could tweak, but no, it's some form of encoding, and I don't have access to disassembly tools here! The file format is interesting however, and does contain some form of XML / text fileds which give me some clues as to how people are writing apps that find things like Revit Version Numbers from families. I notice that all the templates that ship OOTB with Revit 2013 still claim to be made by the BETA vesrion in February 2012 by the way... :catlol:

Why some of this data could not be exposed in a 'MANAGER'S MODE' of Revit is a bit beyond me, and yes I am aware of the older versions debug mode - it would make some of the aspects of managing a BIM system MUCH easier! Perhaps a command-line switch to activate 'BIM MANAGER / CAT HERDER MODE'?

Cat Herding

Valued Contributor
augidomeo
Message 13 of 13 (67 Views)

03-14-2014 02:34 AM in reply to: aesdaile.w

try to do ...

- Change Family Category by Generic model, then modify parameter names, then change family category by original.
OK?!

dotuanhanh.blogspot.com

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Welcome to the new Autodesk Community!
If this is your first visit, click here to get started and make the most of the Community. Let us know what you think of the new experience in the Community Feedback Forum.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Revit Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Revit helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Revit

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Youtube