Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DWG link and origin, Revit model inconsistencies/anomalies

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
SimonLittle4691
1257 Views, 5 Replies

DWG link and origin, Revit model inconsistencies/anomalies

I'm using Revit 2012 and linked in a .dwg that ended up being over 20 miles west of the origin within Revit. Not realizing this to be an issue, or that it had even occured (the .dwg was sent to me by a co-worker) I modeled the interior of a building while working against an imminent deadline (aren't they all?).

I placed my first camera only to find the model was showing severe inconsistencies/anomalies that didn't actually exist. I would switch to the default 3D view and orbit around and it wall appear normal. Each camera continued to show the model totally misconstrued. With a slight panic beginning I quickly rendered an image only to find the rendering was flawless. I continued accordingly in order to meet my deadline.

Now with the deadline met, I'm in a predicament, trying to decide how best to proceed. I am going to be working on the model again and want to "fix" this issue before investing any more time. Does anyone know how to fix this?

I tried unlinking the .dwg and the error was still present. I tried unlinking and re-linking to the 0,0,0 coordinates and it was still present. I tried moving the .dwg file to the 0,0,0 coordinates and then relinking and the error was still present. I even setup a new Revit file with no .dwg links and copy and pasted everything out of the original Revit file (except cameras and the .dwg) and created a new camera only to find the error was still present.

Any ideas?

-Simon

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
vector2
in reply to: SimonLittle4691

"I modeled the interior of a building while working against an imminent deadline"

Your whole message is a puzzle to me.

Please tell me what your purpose is for importing this DWG.

Is the DWG 2d or 3d?

Did you intend to use the DWG only as a reference for creating Revit

elements, or do you want to snap Revit lines to this DWG? 

Message 3 of 6

I apologize if my explanation was unclear. The point isn't so much what I was modeling but how, so allow me to clarify. The .dwg was a 2D AutoCAD file linked into the Revit file. Upon creating the link I did a zoom extents and the view recentered on the linked .dwg. I used the .dwg as a reference, creating the Revit model by snapping my walls/floors/etc. from the dwg lines.

Message 4 of 6
vector2
in reply to: SimonLittle4691

Okay that sounds great- you did it.

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

Message 5 of 6

I'm wondering if anyone else has had major issues within their Revit file from a linked .dwg file and if so were they able to save the Revit file or did they have to scrap it and start over? I've used Revit since 2006 and this is the first time I've ever "corrupted" a file... -Simon

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

Message 6 of 6

I came upon a solution that only took a little time/effort.

• I moved everything back to the 0,0,0 origin.
  • Next I identified every object that was behaving erratically within the perspective views. Nearly all of these were components generated within the model.
  • Upon identifying the erratic components I entered the "edit component" mode, and then exited the editing mode (no changes need to be made).
  • Repeat to all identified components

That was it... this saved me hours upon hours of recreating a model complete with notes/materials/lighting/etc.

The moral of the story is, if your .dwg lands in the Revit file miles from the origin you should bail on that operation immediately.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report