Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cut plane for identical plan details

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Michelle Gibson
978 Views, 9 Replies

Cut plane for identical plan details

I have successfully called up same plan detail and have two annotations. I want to create two distinct plan details - one below the usual 1200 in addition to the detail visible on the floor plan referenced. In addition, I need a third plan detail above the 1200. I don't know what parameter to change to get the same detail cut at three different heights to show three different wall type conditions.

Any suggestions or solutions are appreciated.

thank you.
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
sbrown
in reply to: Michelle Gibson

The typical procedure is to cut a section of the item or a callout elevation, then using the section tool cut sections horizontaly thru the column or whatever at the heights you want.

If you've allready created the 3 callouts in plan, just go to the callout and under its view properties, view range, change it to the height above the floor you want it to be cut thru.
Message 3 of 10

Thanks

Still having trouble. Using Revit 7 and when I go to view properties I have the option to manipulate the following:

far clip active Y/N (set to Y right now)
far clip offset 1200 default (need to cut the wall about 600 from the floor, tried 600 thinking I was going down from the cut plane, can't use - numbers)
far clip setting (changed from same as parent view to independent as this is the only way I can change the value of the offset)

I don't have a scope box and have not yet even learned how to use them, so maybe this is where the problem is?

thanks again for your patience...
Michelle
Message 4 of 10
sbrown

The far clip is for sections and elevations and has to do with the distance from the section marker to the extents you want seen. For example if you cut a wall section and don't want to see what is beyond, you adjust the far clip to say 1" so you don't see what is beyond. A plan callout would not have a far clip plane it would have a view range box in which you set the parameter for how high above the floor the view is taken and how far down it shows.

So two options

1. go to a plan view of your object, create a callout, go to the callout, check its view properties/view range. Set it to 600.

repeat for additional heights.

2. go to a section view(that was created in plan) or an elevation and place a section horizontally at the height you want the cut at, then adjust the far clip to see how far down from the marker you want to see.
Message 5 of 10

The callout view properties does not have a view range, only the parameters I noted in my post. I only see the "view range" when I am in the main floor plan from which I placed the callout in the first place.

For your second option, does that mean that all my existing callout plan details (27) are useless and I have to start cutting section views all over the place? I am having a hard time following this option and am tending toward the first one if I can find a way to have a callout property with a view range.

I want the main floor plan to be cut at 1200, then just pick up additional plan details for conditions that exist above and below that cut plane.

Your patience is admired...
Message 6 of 10
sbrown

Ok, here is your problem when you created your callout you used the detail callout, which doesn't have view range, I don't know why they did this, very mean. If you recreate your callouts using the floor plan callout it will have the same properties as any view.

This being said, your detail callouts should show up as section tags in a detail section and should be able to be physically moved up or down.
Message 7 of 10

Thanks!

What is really sad/funny is that I had inadverdantly made most of them as a floor plan callout then changed them all to detail callouts as I thought this was the appropriate one. Ugh... but, better late than never.

I am hoping that if I do this then change the view range (don't know how to do that yet, but will persevere) that my floor plan view range does not change.

IF you see a reply post, you will know it is me,

again.

:-}
Message 8 of 10
sbrown

Your original view will not change. If you have allready noted your other callouts don't delete them until you create the new ones, then you can copy paste anything from them you need.
Message 9 of 10

thanks

I had already renumbered the sheet and used the hide command to turn them off the existing without losing the detail. I am now creating the floorplan call outs, but I still have to do a bit of work in wall clean ups - that is the most challenging and difficult when you have different stacked wall types coming into a corner with anothe stacked wall butting into it. Is there a good tutorial on wall joins and clean up?
Message 10 of 10
sbrown

There is the wall join tool, which you just place over the intersection, then click next, miter, etc until you get the join you want.

As for tips

1. pull away interior walls, get the exterior condition the way you want, then extend the interior wall back to the exterior wall.

2. Make sure your wall structure, substrate, and finish layers are set appropriately, ie, structure within the core boundary, finishes outside it. Note the like function layers will join with eachother, so core elements will extend into meet eachother and finishe will wrap together if properly assigned.

3. Try to make walls that join have the same ht constraints. You run inot problems with stacked walls because revit has to figure out too many options.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report