Revit Architecture

Valued Contributor
helsinki_dave
Message 11 of 14 (489 Views)

Re: Cut / fill disaster

08-15-2012 01:07 AM in reply to: russ.green

My sincerest apologies for causing offence Russ. My advice was on the basis of your use of three decmal places in your reporting of earthwork volumes - something I wouldn't do.

Apologies again.

Valued Contributor
russ.green
Message 12 of 14 (485 Views)

08-15-2012 01:56 AM in reply to: helsinki_dave

I didn't really.  I'm having a bad morning.

I wish the errers were in the decimal places only......

My biggest issue was reading a blog post that said cut/fill calcs are not accurate, then looking hte documentation to see no mentions of the approximations are level of accuracy to be expected and then just hear from ADSK that volumes are approximate only before explaining the 1-2%...erm  my head went into a spin and I started to wonder what else revit was deciding to do approximately without documenting it.

As it is I was doing a cut/fill model on a very large hillside to check were were in balacnce so 2% is a lot of material to potentially have to buy in or cart away if discovered later.  Granted, its probably the most accurate way of doing it but if you are getting 3 decimal places out of a computer model you might naively expect the computer model to be giving you the answer to within 3 decimal places and doing so accurately. Anexplanation in the help is needed.

At least now I have an answer and can explain likely errors to be expected.

Russ Green
*Expert Elite*
Alfredo_Medina
Message 13 of 14 (473 Views)

08-15-2012 06:39 AM in reply to: russ.green

These are the results of making excavations of different sizes, starting from a small 1x1x1 (m), to a very large 1000 x 1000 x 1 (m).

According to these results, I agree with Jeff Hanson's response, above. The variations don't seem to follow a consistent pattern that we can comprehend easily if we see a test as the one shown in that blog that was referenced by Russ in the original post. But we have to keep in mind that the algorithm is made to produce an approximate result not only with simple boxes like in that blog, but also with irregular volumes, which would be the most typical situation.

In this test of mine, with simple boxes of different sizes, the results are always less or just a little more than 1% of the results that you could obtain with simple math. Notice how, for an excavation that is 100 x 100 x 1 m, more than an American football field, the "extra" volume is just 1.6 cubic meters, the 0.02 %, which is less than the actual volume that will result of that excavation because of the "swell factor" of the soil.

tests_schedules.jpg

tests_comparison.jpg

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Planta1 Revit Online Consulting | info@planta1.com | my Twitter | The Planta1 Blog
*Expert Elite*
Alfredo_Medina
Message 14 of 14 (429 Views)

08-17-2012 05:39 PM in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

I found some incorrect entries in the first column of the topography schedule in imperial units that I posted in my previous message, and since I cannot edit that image in that post, I am posting the corrected version in this new post, for future, correct, reference:

topo_imperial_units.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Planta1 Revit Online Consulting | info@planta1.com | my Twitter | The Planta1 Blog

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Revit Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Revit helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Revit

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Youtube