Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cut Wall Back on Plan

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
Barryfisher
12136 Views, 13 Replies

Cut Wall Back on Plan

Hi Guys

I've got a concrete wall and i want to change the end to 45 degrees on plan view. I've tried Cut Geometry with a Reference plane but that doesn't work. I've attached a sketch showing what i'm after.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Barry
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: Barryfisher

if its a wall, you can use the Attach tool. Pick the wall, then Attach, and
pick the angled Ref Plane.

"Barryfisher" wrote in message news:6374461@discussion.autodesk.com...
Hi Guys

I've got a concrete wall and i want to change the end to 45 degrees on plan
view. I've tried Cut Geometry with a Reference plane but that doesn't work.
I've attached a sketch showing what i'm after.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Barry
Message 3 of 14
Barryfisher

Thanks but when i try that it only allows me to select a roof, floor, ceiling or parrallel wall, not a ref plane. It only give the Top/Base option. Its the end of the wall i need to trim back at 45 degrees....

Any other thoughts... I'm using Revit Structures 2008

Cheers Barry
Message 4 of 14

I think, for a plan view, which is what the OP is asking for, this solution might not work. The Attach tool for walls is only available for the base or top of a wall, not for the sides of it.

Other alternatives of solution for making this 45 degree cut in plan view, are these:

1) Select the wall > Edit cut profile > make a 45 degree line, as needed > Finish cut profile.
(This will be a solution for the plan view only. It will not create a true cut in the wall. If you switch to a 3D view, the wall will not be cut.

2) To create a true cut: > Insert > Component > Model in place > Solid void > Extrusion > Make a rectangle > Extrusion properties > Extrusion end: same height of wall > Finish extrusion > Select the void > Rotate it 45 degrees as needed, and/or stretch it as needed. > Modify > Cut geometry > select the wall, then select the void > Finish model in place.

Alfredo Medina
info@planta1.com

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 5 of 14
Barryfisher

Thanks for that, that solution makes sense. Maybe i'll edit the basic wall family and add parameters to do it..

Thanks again

Barry
Message 6 of 14

There is no "basic wall family" that you can edit and add parameters to.

From the help documents:

"System families have predefined parameters and graphical representations. They include walls, dimensions, ceilings, roofs, and levels. System families are not available as files for loading into a project, nor can you create them."

Alfredo Medina
info@planta1.com

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 7 of 14
Barryfisher

Hi, Sorry i do know that... I'll make one from scratch, good practice..

Thanks
Message 8 of 14
hxvirkar

Hi...

You can create profile reveal family to use it as 45 degree to cut to your wall...
Message 9 of 14

I've got a solution. It's elegantly simple....

Create two walls, one of which you hide. The one you hide will be at 135 degrees to the first. You'll see it in each view, but then just hide it in each view and Presto- you've got your 45 degree wall end in your plan or 3D views.

(Just make sure, I suppose, you don't have a miter wall join or you won't end up with a 45 degree wall end.)

Sincerely,
Robert Grandmaison
Message 10 of 14

Now that's clever!
Message 11 of 14
Barryfisher

Hi Rob

A quick question - If you did it that way would the hidden wall not be included in the take offs?

The way i did it in the end was to create an in-place wall family with a solid extrusion. This way i can change the profile on plan view and just set the height i require. I changed the material to suite. It worked very well...

Cheers Barry
Message 12 of 14

I believe it would show up. So, if that was an issue, I'd probably use the Void option in Alfredo's post.
Message 13 of 14

Create a reference plane and attach the wall to it

Message 14 of 14
Corsten.Au

Another Quick Workaround...

To get Geometry right, and quantities etc..

Wall Cut.JPG

Corsten
Building Designer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report