Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Curved roof on curved walls

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
nico172i
7675 Views, 6 Replies

Curved roof on curved walls

Hi guys,

I'm pretty new on the forum, I've tried searching all over the forums and watching different youtube videos but I can't seem to find the answer for my question.

I need to make a roof on a curved building. But when I try with Roof by Footprint it just brings up the error "Can't make footprint roof."

I hope you can help me 🙂

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
GHASEM_ARIYANI
in reply to: nico172i

Hi

Welcome to the Forums.

You Roof By Extrusion tool to create a overall plan and The Vertical Opening Tool and Cut off extra parts.

and or Mass.

Please use " Accept as Solution", and give kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 7
nico172i
in reply to: GHASEM_ARIYANI

I got no idea how to get it right with the method you described.

Could you try and be more detailed or maybe attach some pictures?
Message 4 of 7

You can make a curved Roof by Footprint with 4 slopes but not with 2 slopes, because it will give you an error message....

Image 302.jpg

Image 1.jpg

I propose a trick.:- Make a Roof by Footprint with 4 slopes and cut it with voids:

1. Make a Roof by Footprint with 4 slopes
  2. Component> Model in Place> Family Category and Parameters > Roofs > Name >Extrusion - make two closed shapes - one at each side of the curve - adjust the extrusion - turn it into Void -
  3. apply Cut selecting the Void and the Roof by Footprint...

Image 300.jpg

Another method could be a Component- sweep :Component> Model in Place> Family Category and Parameters > Roofs > Name >Sweep  - draw the curve as path and the normal section of the roof as Profile

Another one could be Roof by Face applied to a mass element that you have to create in Mass Model in Place ( or made in Mass editor)

I'm afraid that Roof by extrusion won't work because extrusion is after a straight line not a curved one.....sweep follows a curve...

Constantin Stroescu

EESignature

Message 5 of 7

Thank you very much, I got the Sweep method to work almost like i would like it. Isn't there anyway to have the construction of the roof connected to it at the same time?
Message 6 of 7
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: nico172i

It would be useful to specify what kind of roof you need to create. Your original post just says "I need to make a roof on a curved building." 

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 7 of 7

If you want to conect a roof made by sweep ( Component > Model in Place > Family Category and Parameters > Roofs >Sweep ) with another roof made by other method ( let's say by Footprint ) you  will be able to do it using Join Roof function...The condition of joining is that both entities to be defined as roofs..

Image 305.png

Image 304.png

Constantin Stroescu

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report