Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Curtain Wall Double Doors

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
chris_pitt
3476 Views, 8 Replies

Curtain Wall Double Doors

Hi

I've made a set of curtain wall double doors that just won't work the way they should!

In the family when I flex the model everything appears fine.  However, when I insert the family into the building model and place a door in the curtain wall the meeting stile is NEVER central (it should be)!

I cannot see anything in the family which would affect the stile position.  As far as I can see it should be tie to the central reference plane which is equidistant between the right and left planes.  Any suggestions?

Regards

Christopher Alan Pitt

Frank Shaw Associates

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: chris_pitt

In the door family, find the Center (Left/Right) reference plane, and unpin it. That gives it the freedom to move at the center of the curtain wall panel. Load again into project, and.... happy face. 🙂

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 9
mpwuzhere
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Or...you can create another reference plane that is EQ and associate to that one instead of the pinned one...

Message 4 of 9
chris_pitt

I have to say that I'd have never thought of that, especially as It does seem counterintuitive.

Regards

Christopher Alan Pitt

Frank Shaw Associates

Message 5 of 9
Kimtaurus

Hate to revive an old post, but I've run into the same problem.

Unpinning the center reference plane works, but, there's always a but, the Room Calculation Point becomes offcenter when the door flexes. Has anyone found a solution asides unpinning the center ref plane?

in reply to: Kimtaurus

It is strange that the OOTB family has no problem centering the door panels with the Center reference plane pinned. 

Capture1.PNGCapture.PNG

Message 7 of 9
ToanDN
in reply to: Kimtaurus

I figured out why @chris_pitt original family did not work.  The entire family is off center from the family's Origin (see pic 1 where I pasted a center reference plane from the OOTB family and it is off to the left).  After moving everything so that the family's Center Left/Right reference plane is on the Origin, the door works as expected in Project with the Center reference plane still pinned.

Revised 2017 file attached.

Capture.PNGCapture1.PNG

Message 8 of 9
Kimtaurus
in reply to: ToanDN

The plot thickens...

So the OOTB door works.But, if you create a new door from the template, the center is off again! In other words the templates are at fault. It's kinda hard to create good families if Autodesk gives us faulty templates to begin with Smiley Frustrated

curtain door.JPG

I've done your suggestion with copy-pasting the ref plane from the OOTB door. Repositioned the center ref plane from the template door and voila: it works.

Guess I've found another suggestion for the Idea boards. (And have some work to edit our office library doors)

in reply to: chris_pitt

A (small) workaround when creating new curtain wall doors:

Start from the curtain wall panel template and change the category to doors.

You get any door parameters without having to reposition the center ref plane.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report