Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Curtain System by Face, Grid Orientation

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
vansicek
2509 Views, 3 Replies

Curtain System by Face, Grid Orientation

I am using Curtain System by Face to make a curtain wall on sloped walls. I am having a problem with the default orientation of the mullions. Some of my faces have oddly angled tops and the vertical mullions seem to be looking at those edges to get something to be perpendicular to. 

The image attached shows the system I'm talking about. I need the vertical mullions to be perpendicular with the  ground, not the roof line. I have tried editing the grid itself, and I have heard that splitting the surface will not allow me to create a curtain wall system.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
v_chris
in reply to: vansicek

This seems to be something autodesk has continually failed to address. For software, that is specifically designed for construction industry, Revit developers have singularly failed to provide a simple solution to putting a simple curtain wall (with straight lines) on an angled wall.  If we documented a high rise with a curtain wall that revit provides (without a tortured work around) we would be shot on the spot. 

Tags (1)
Message 3 of 4
Fangchao.gong
in reply to: v_chris

Seems that till 2016, we have still this issue...
Message 4 of 4
RDAOU
in reply to: Fangchao.gong

@vansicek

From the image you have posted; such orientation/pattern of the Grid/Mullions occurs ONLY when:

1. the curtain wall is inclined/slanted ie: top and bottom edges are not on the same vertical plane
  2. or the curtain wall is following a free form surface determined single or double curves...etc

When the face of the Mass is not vertical/plumb; you cannot make the mullions vertical!!!! The mullions parallel to the V Grid will follow the plane/surface you which you've placed them on. In such case the orientation of the Curtain Grid is determined by the number of divisions required to host the curtain panels defined in the Curtain system properties (the angle option is not available in such case). ie: Revit divides the top and bottom edges of the curtain wall to an equal X number of divisions to fit an X No. of panels  

Vansicek wrote:

The image attached shows the system I'm talking about. I need the vertical mullions to be perpendicular with the ground, not the roof line. I have tried editing the grid itself, and I have heard that splitting the surface will not allow me to create a curtain wall system.

As clarified above; it is not possible...and the image you posted they are not vertical to the roof either.

PS: It is not REVIT which doesn't allow this...It is the Laws of Physics & Geometry ... to place a mullion vertical to the horizontal it has to be in a plane which is Vertical/Perpendicular to the Horizontal

@Fangchao.gong

There are no issues with what this OP is about ...At least not if one understands what he is doing and how the software computes and functions...(Geometric Shapes/Patterns are nothing but Physics and Math algorithms...hence; their behavior is predictable)

This post has really nothing to do with your issue related to the rotation angle of the curtain wall system. Sincere apologies...I skipped your post

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report