Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a sloped wall by mass in-place

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Geoff
4375 Views, 6 Replies

Creating a sloped wall by mass in-place

I am trying to create a sloped wall by creating a mass in-place.  First I draw a line on a surface at a pre-determined level that I've set up in elevation.  Then I offset this line in the vertical plane.  My next step is to offset this second line so that it is not directly above the original line, but offset in the horizontal plane.  How do I change from a vertical to a horizontal offset?  I’ve tried different work planes, but they all offset vertically.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
constantin.stroescu
in reply to: Geoff

I understood you want to make a sloped wall using the Massing and Site>Conceptual Mass>In-Place Mass...and you began to describe how you work...it will be very worthfull to say us what do you  want exactly to obtain. After knowing the Solid Form you want to use as support for the Wall by Face you will be able to obtain it in the best way.

My suggestion is to work first on Work Plane- Level 1...to make there a closed shape, then to move to Level 2, to draw there another closed shape. Select both shapes and Create Form >Solid Form...This will be a support for Wall by Face..

To continue the steps you described:

• line 1 - Create >Work Plane >Specify a new Work Plane>Name - Level 1...draw your line here
  • line 2 - continueing- Create >Work Plane >Specify a new Work Plane>Name - Level 2 -draw your line here
  • line 3 - kipping the level 2 as Work Plane , Draw>Model>Pick Lines..select Offset from the upper bar and click on line 2
Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD

Your Name

EESignature

Message 3 of 7
Geoff
in reply to: constantin.stroescu

In theory that is exactly what I did to create my mass.  However, what I was trying to do, and what I did finally acheive was to create a sloped wall with a compound angle at each corner, i.e. length of wall at lower level was longer than at upper level.  The crazy thing is, each time I was either able to offset the line along a horizontal plan but not a vertical plane or vice versa.  I did accomplish what you say by changing the levels.  This method worked fine when I could offset horizontally, but not so good the other way round.  I will explain more clearly in another posting tomorrow.

Geoff

Message 4 of 7
Geoff

My solution was to create 2 lines at different elevations and offsets, but to change them into Reference lines so that they could be moved.  Then I changed the Host in order to copy the first line and move it up to the correct level.  This only worked because this time the offsets were moving horizontally, whereas they were offsetting vertically on the first mass I created.  With the Control button depressed I selected the 2 Reference lines and then selected create form > solid mass.  I then had 3 optional graphics appear, two were cylinders and one was a plane symbol, which is what I selected.  Then I then hit the Finish Mass Icon (green check mark) on the Ribbon and I was done.  Result shown on attachement.

I still would like to know what the best practice / methodology is for establishing / setting the Placement Plane and then how I can anticipate how the offsets will behave so I don't have to go through so much trial and error (hit & miss).   Thanks,

Geoff

Message 5 of 7
constantin.stroescu

I think that the best option in your case is to use a family :Ceneric Model Pattern Based  with adaptive points..

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD

Your Name

EESignature

Message 6 of 7

I would do that as a floor. Make it flat first, then modify the elevation of two elevated corners, using Modify sub-elements.Then  attach the low wall to the floor.

4-19-2013 7-40-30 AM.jpg

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 7 of 7
Slkr16
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

For anybody who stumbles across this thread like I did:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lt9v8KBKOjA&feature=youtu.be

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report