Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a shed roof

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
adave
6986 Views, 8 Replies

Creating a shed roof

In my first week of using Revit...

I'm trying to create a simple shed roof attached to the sloping walls of a rectangular building.  4 walls, south wall 10' h, north wall 11" h, and the east/west walls joining them are therefore sloped.

I want to attach a simple shed roof to the top.  Here's how I think I should do it:

1. create a new workplane aligned with the top of the walls.

2. switch to that workplane.

3. use "Roof" - Extrude" option to create the roof.

Assuming I'm correct in my steps above, I should be able to create the roof.

QUestion - How do I CREATE a new workplane where there is no object already to choose?  Program won't let me create a workplane in workplane viewer by picking the tops of the four walls (in any of the tiled views). What am I missing?

THanks!

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
VWD-MLM
in reply to: adave

No need to create a seperate work plane.........just go the Level that you want to work from, in this case I will assume the 1st Floor Level, go to your roof Types/Family in the Project Browser, create/select the type of roof that you want to create.  Drag out into the editing window, set the parameters in the properties to the Ht. that you want........in this case 10', set your slope the you want it to be........I can't help you here as do didn't give a span to caluclate based on the 11' wall, and the pick your walls..................note.....amke sure youpick the south line of the roof and mark as the sloped edge.  Follwo the onscreens instructions.  Tweak as needed.  No need to create a seperate Plane.

HTH

Mike

Michael L. Maloney
Virtual World Designs
VDC & BIM Model Design, Clash & Coordination
mike@VirtualWorldDesigns.com
BDSU 2015, 2016
Charlotte, NC ; Fort Mill, SC
Message 3 of 9
adave
in reply to: VWD-MLM

Thanks for your response.

When I go to level one and choose "roof", I get a dropdown with the following choices:

Roof by footprint

Roof by faces

roof by extrusion

then soffit fascia, gutter...

I don't have any "premade" roofs to choose from/modify, and to "drop onto the edit page".   Do I need to load a family somehow?  Cannot find any roof families under "load family". 

I have tried the drop down options given, and always get a hipped roof.  I can then change roof pitch, but it's still hipped.  Furthermore, I cannot seem to tilt it properly (to match top of wall) using the pitch arrow.

Note that I'm using 2012 version, if that makes a difference.

Perhaps I'm just misinterprting your instruction, though(?)

Message 4 of 9
VWD-MLM

adave,

If I can get a few miniutes tonight,  I create a quick video tutorial for you of what I explained.............send me your email and I'll send you the video link for it when done.

Mike

Michael L. Maloney
Virtual World Designs
VDC & BIM Model Design, Clash & Coordination
mike@VirtualWorldDesigns.com
BDSU 2015, 2016
Charlotte, NC ; Fort Mill, SC
Message 5 of 9
adave
in reply to: VWD-MLM

Mike,

ccenergy@montrose.net

Thanks!

Message 6 of 9
Bob_Zurunkle

Try roof by footprint -- it should show the faint outlines of Level 1. Then in the bar just under the Ribbon, you should have values for your overhang plus where to set slope. Only one of the 4 roof edges should have a slope assigned to it.

If by some odd chance my nattering was useful -- that's great, glad to help. But if it actually solved your issue, then please mark my solution as accepted 🙂
Message 7 of 9
loboarch

adave wrote:

Thanks for your response.

When I go to level one and choose "roof", I get a dropdown with the following choices:

Roof by footprint

Roof by faces

roof by extrusion

then soffit fascia, gutter...

I don't have any "premade" roofs to choose from/modify, and to "drop onto the edit page".   Do I need to load a family somehow?  Cannot find any roof families under "load family". 

I have tried the drop down options given, and always get a hipped roof.  I can then change roof pitch, but it's still hipped.  Furthermore, I cannot seem to tilt it properly (to match top of wall) using the pitch arrow.

Note that I'm using 2012 version, if that makes a difference.

Perhaps I'm just misinterprting your instruction, though(?)

The key here is setting each edge of the sketch to define slope or not define slope this is how the roof sketch controls the over all shape of the roof once complete.  You are getting a hipped roof because all the edges of the roof are set to define slope.  You need to only set one edge to define the slope.  Once one edge only is defined as having slope you will get a "shed" roof.

Here is a short video showing how to manipulate the slope defning edges of a roof sketch.  The video is very simple but the same idea can be applied to a much more complex roof shape.

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 8 of 9
adave
in reply to: loboarch

Thanks to all of you for your help; I've got it figured out now!

Smiley Happy

-Dave

Message 9 of 9
Bob_Zurunkle

...and being also a Revit newbie, imagine my delight at finding out for myself how to make my own tray ceilings, starting with roof fascias and soffits! Not to mention finding out about stacked walls, which is how I made a CMU wall with a poured bond beam and wood framed gable ends!

If by some odd chance my nattering was useful -- that's great, glad to help. But if it actually solved your issue, then please mark my solution as accepted 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report