Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a grab bar family.....

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
doni49
2382 Views, 5 Replies

Creating a grab bar family.....

Hi all!

I downloaded a grab bar family that I thought looked very good.  But then I tried to place it on the toilet stall partion (I also downloaded stall partition families).  When I tried to place the grab bar, it wouldn't place -- I believe because the grab bar is WALL BASED.

So now the question is how do I go about placing a grab bar (or anything else) that is not wall based so that I can use it with the stall partion?  I had tried to use face based but couldn't get that too work.  If that's the answer then, I'll try again.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
CoreyDaun
in reply to: doni49

Do you have full Revit or just Revit Architecture? If you have full, then you can use the Copy/Monitor tool to convert the Family to Face-Based following these steps:

1. Create a new Project and draw a Wall, Floor, or Ceiling - which ever element is an appropriate host.

2. Load in the desired Family and place one instance of each Type on the host Element. Exclude Types you do not wish to retain.

3. Save this Project somewhere temporarily and close it. Start another new Project.

4. Link the previous Project file into this one. The placement of the Linked Model is irrelevant.

5. Go to Collaborate tab » Copy/Monitor ▼ Select Link. Select the Linked Project and use Copy to create a copy of each of the placed Elements.

6. The Family is now converted to Face-Based and may be saved/exported from this Project to a separate file for later use.

Note: Only certain Categories are available for Copy/Monitor. If the desired Family is not of one of these, you can edit the Family prior to this process and temporarily change it to an applicable Category and then change it back when completed.

If you do not have access to the Copy/Monitor command, post that Family file here and I'll convert it for you. Please state what version of Revit the file is in if you post it.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 6
doni49
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Thanks.  Worked like a charm once I changed the family to "mechanical" type and saved it.  Of course, I changed the type back when I was done.

Side note:  I have Revit Arch as well as Revit.  I was under the impression that Revit Arch was "Revit but with things specifically for Arch added".  It sounds like you're saying it's the opposite.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 4 of 6
CoreyDaun
in reply to: doni49

From several reports that I've heard from various users here in these forums, Revit Architecture does not have the Copy/Monitor tool, whereas Revit One Box (all in one) does. In your Revit Architecture, is the Copy/Monitor function available?

Edit: The reason I ask is that all I've got is Revit MEP.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 5 of 6
David_W_Koch
in reply to: CoreyDaun

The Copy/Monitor tool exists in Revit Architecture (2012 and earlier versions, anyway - I doubt they took it out in 2013 or 2014).

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 6 of 6
CoreyDaun
in reply to: David_W_Koch

Thanks, David!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report