Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a complex curve as a path to sweep

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
14375 Views, 10 Replies

Creating a complex curve as a path to sweep

How does one draw a complex curved line to act as the path for a sweep in REVIT 14?

I need to create an arch (shown in elevation), that follows a curved path (shown in plan).

Thanks a million - John

Folly P&E.jpg

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: Anonymous

What path? The reference line that you show on the right side, or the path created by the circles?

Anyway, it can be made with the Sweep tool. It is better to make a profile family of the vault, first. Within the Sweep tool, use pick lines > pick 3d edges to include both the arc and the line in the path. Then, apply the profile, and finish the sweep.

7-9-2013 1-38-27 PM.jpg

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 11
constantin.stroescu

Maybe the circles want to be Reference Points ? Are they?

Constantin Stroescu

EESignature

Message 4 of 11
constantin.stroescu

are you working in Conceptual Mass or In-Place Mass from Project's Massing and Site ?

And your circles are they Reference Points?

Constantin Stroescu

EESignature

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: constantin.stroescu

Sorry guys, I thought I had included the model photo:

Folly.jpg

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous

I'm creating this "folly" as a Revit Family so that I can insert it into a project.

Thanks again.

John

Message 7 of 11
constantin.stroescu

The sweeped arch could be made using a workaround as mass element.

I made a Conceptual Mass element , but it can be done also in project as In Place Mass. The idea is to make two extruded objects and to use there intersection lines as path for the sweep (follow the number of the files from attachment):

1. make an extruded volume of an arch ( in elevation)
  2. make a second extruded volume using the plan projection of your curve
  3. the second extruded object will be declared as Void
  4. the resultated volume is a boolean substraction of the two volumes and the intersection line will became the path
  5. draw a circle in the plan layout as in image
  6. select the circle and then with CTRL and TAB the path and then Create Form....the desired sweeped arch will be created
  7. the sweeped arch after hiding (or erasing) the extrude volume used for construction base

Constantin Stroescu

EESignature

Message 8 of 11

Another possible solution, just in case if the intention was to create a continuous surface, not some "tubes" as in the photo of the model is this: 3 arcs, made with reference splines, maybe the mid arc with an offset inward, in relation to the two other arcs, to make the surface with double curvature, like this:

7-11-2013 12-03-03 PM.jpg

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous

Thank to everyone for your help and suggestions.  Thanks constantin.stroescu for your step by step instructions.  I took your idea and ran with it.  After some trial and error, it worked!

As a reference, here are my revised step by step instructions in REVIT 2014:

1. In elevation, make an extrude volume of an arch.  (Vertical Work Plane)

Create Tab > Forms Panel > Extrusion.    

2.  In plan, make an Void Form using the plan curve as an edge.  (Horizontal Work Plane)

Create Tab > Forms Panel > Void Forms drop-down > Void Extrusion.

The resultant volume is a “boolean subtraction” of the two volumes and the itersection line will be the sweep path for the desired arch form.

3.  In 3D View, create the final sweep.

Create Tab> Forms Panel > Sweep > Pick Path …

folly.jpg

Message 10 of 11
Alfredo_Medina

Ah, so it is made of tubes. What is that anyway, a sculpture?

Message 11 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

It's a folly.  An arch form, morphed into a large swing, weighted to return to the pictured position when not in use.

Thanks for your help.

John.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report